This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new coil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bjgravley
10+ Years
10+ Years

new coil

Postby bjgravley » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:51 pm

i just had to replace my coil the new 6 volt coils are a little larger and it diddn't come with a bracket what do most do to fasten the new larger coils, thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:00 pm

The larger coils often are furnished with brackets. Auto wrecking yards probably have them. The problem may be that the used bracket is rusty or that the yard has a minimum charge. I went to one yard to get a small trim piece for the instrument panel of my wife's car. I knew they had an indentical car on the yard. Their minimum charge was $20.00! The dealership had new ones for less than $6.00. Ask at NAPA or Carquest. Sorry for getting a bit off topic. I am reasonably certain that OEM - they have a website- does or did offer coils of original size and appearance. Kinda pricey.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Tom at TM recommended Brillman for electrical (specifically voltage regualtor). I think Brillman does advertize in Red Power, but don't know if he has a website.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:38 am

bjgravely:

Don't use the universal mounting bracket.. it requires two holes to be drilled in the hood.

Unless you can find another mounting option such as using the Coil Mounting Bracket for the Distributor or Battery Ignition Package.

I really don't like the drill the hood solution, but seeing as the PO already made the mod.. that is what I have been using as a stop gap measure. Now that Jon (MagMan) has fixed me up with a proper coil insert for my J4 Mag, Ellie is going to be losing her elcheapo UAP/NAPA coil and is going to be redressed properly. Not exactly a cheap fix.. but it is the better fix if you can manage it.

NOS International Farmall Cub Magneto Coil
If you have a core, then Jon can do you a good deal. They are also still available from CaseIH.. but they are very very dear.... :cry: :arrow: :cry: You can also find them on eBay as is the one pictured above.. but it sold for a LOT of coin.. much more than it is worth.. I think it was more than the CaseIH price as well.. but don't quote me on that.. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”