This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Water in oil Help Needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jillm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Water in oil Help Needed

Postby jillm » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:04 am

I have got water in the oil, also oil in the radiator any suggestions. Engine is running fine with no smoke. If it needs a part, what and where do i find them or any suggestions on their price please.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:00 am

It sounds like the block is cracked inside.
I would flush the cooling system & then change the oil.
Then run it for a bit & see what happens.
I may be wrong but the only way that I know of for the block to crack inside is if it froze up in cold weather.

Others will be along shortly with other ideas that I may not be aware of
good luck.

Welcome to one of the best places on the web.

When It comes to cubs this is the best place for info.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:15 am

jillm,

There is definitely more wrong than just "replace a part." Like Dale says, there is almost certainly a crack in the block somewhere. That means most of the engine needs to be replaced, as cracks in the block usually cannot be repaired. :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It must be a very large crack if the oil and water are mixing both ways. Usually it's either water in the oil, or oil in the water.

This is what is called a "flathead" engine, because the valves are in the block. On overhead valve engines, coolant and oil flow from the block to the head, so a blown head gasket or cracked head could also be the problem. Unfortunately I don't think a cracked head or blown head gasket are possibile causes of your water/oil mixing on this engine. The head and head gasket would certainly be simpler to replace.

jillm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Water in Oil

Postby jillm » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:22 am

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.

Any ideas where i can get gasket and head from?????

Thanks

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:58 am

Parts. The advertisers on this site, I believe, can ship to France. Go to the "For Sale/Wanted" section of this site.

Actually, I would wait untill I found out the source of the water/oil mix before I ordered parts.

You might try one of the site members living in France. He goes by the user name Patbretagne. Find one of his posts then click on his e-mail button. Pat should be a good source for Cub parts locations in France.

Eugene

jillm
10+ Years
10+ Years

oil running in water

Postby jillm » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:02 pm

I have changed the oil and its still the same, any more suggestions please, also a dealer or someone who sells to france. please help

It is my first tractor i have only had it 1 day before i noticed the fault. I do not know anything about tractors, hence looking for ideas.

Thanks

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:19 pm

I do not know the complete circumstances of your purchase of this tractor, but if you discovered this issue on the first day you owned it, the problem definitely existed before your purchase. If I were in your shoes, I would go back to the seller, explain the situation, and attempt to get my money back. It's worth a try. :)
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:24 pm

jillm,

As I said, the head and head gasket are most likely NOT the cause of your problem. There is no sense in throwing good money at the problem unless you know for sure what the problem is.

Try getting your money back first, unless you got a very good price on the tractor and are willing to put another 1000-1500 Euros into it to get it fixed.

For parts, do you have a telephone directory that lists businesses by category? We call them "Yellow Pages" here. Look under "Farm Equipment," or "Équipement De Ferme" (thanks babelfish! :D), and start making phone calls. Also look under "agricole" or "tracteurs."

Disclaimer: No, I really don't know any French. I took 1/2 a year of it in Jr. High School, and completed my language requirement with Spanish.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Salut Jillm, Je suis la pour vous aider, j'habite Finistère avec Noëlle, nous avons 4 cubs. Comme Matt et des autres ont dit, essayer de recouperer votre argent, vise caché.
Si vraiment c'est le bloc moteur qui est fisuré il n'y a beaucoup a faire sauf le changer.
J'ai des contacts pour pieces d'ocasion si necessaire. Aussi des manuels d'entretien moteur etc en français et en anglais.
Envoyez moi un Email (patbretagne@wanadoo.fr) ou Private message (dans mon profile, clickez sur mon nom sur un post) avec vos coordinées et je vous contacterai, merci Pat

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:12 am

Pat,

Glad to see you back posting. :D :D :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:33 am

Egg preserver, waterglass, sodium silicate all the same thing. Never used it myself but sold a lot in my younger days to farmers with cracked blocks in their tractors as I started working in a drug store in 1959 at the age of 7. Mix with water only and drain after the crack is sealed. While I would like to make clear that I am not a Walmart aficionado, I have seen something I believe to be the same in their automotive department. Being lazy and cheap this is the first fix I would try in your situation. Now I know many will say fix it right the first time, but doesn't your doctor try a prescription before he would recommend surgery? Ted
Last edited by tnestell on Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:38 am

Bar (brand name) makes an excellent block and head gasket sealer that works with antifreeze. The only problem is that the engine must have some means of circulating the coolent.

If you can figure out some way to circulate engine coolent then a block sealer would probably be the answer.

Eugene

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:28 am

Sodium Silicate not Methyl Salicylate, let my mind wander and it hasn't returned. Methyl salicylate is wintergreen oil. Sodium silicate is used to seal eggs so they can be kept fresh for long periods of time, used in ceramics, and in a block it turns hard were it is exposed to air. Sorry for my mistake. Ted

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:34 am

I have used Sodium Silicate!!!!
It will work but I don't like it.
It will rust every piece of steel & cast Iron it touches.
On a car or truck engine you only have to worry about the block.
BUT on a cub the front bolster houses the radiator & is cast iron and will rust the :?: out of it maybe plug the radiator from lose pieces in the future.
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:57 am

The sodium silicate ( water glass) works great. Key is too drain out the coolant after a little time and refill with antifreeze. The process will then stop. I've seen H's and M's that had it in for yrs and it didn't harm anything. Leaves a white power behind after a system is drained and let dry. My own H had it in for a while. Its now aprt again and I notice no ill effects.

Return to “Farmall Cub”