This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburators

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Carburators

Postby Jason (IL) » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:44 pm

My 56 cub has been stalling a lot lately on me. If the choke isn't set to 3/4 it will not run at very good or even run at all. Almost everytime I get on it to take off it stalls. It is getting enough fuel and I have rebuilt this carb 2 times in the past 5 years. It is an original carb and I was thinking of putting a Zenith carb on it now since the 54 cub has a zenith and it runs and drives better than any other tractor I own.

Question is were is the best and cheapest place to get a Zenith, TM has them for 225, Is there any cheaper places. That price sounds resonable to me but haven't checked with IH yet.
Thanks Jason

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:32 am

I'm partial to Zenith myself, but when an IH carb. is operating properly, it can't be beat. Try this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:49 am

That's not a bad price ($176.00) for a NEW Zenith carb...HOWEVER, be sure that it includes the stepdown rubber tube that runs from the front of the Zenith carb and connects to the air cleaner (it is NOT shown in the ad). :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:32 am

Read the "carb surging" thread.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:18 pm

Before I spent $176.00 or more for another carburator. That may not solve your problem.

3/4 choke would normally indicate a lack of fuel supply.

Suggest cleaning out the fuel tank, sediment bowl, fuel line. Then clean the carburator (dip in solvent), clean/blow out all passages. Check for partial blockage in the main jet.

Cub carburators are very simple, straight forward and easy to repair.

My opinion.

Eugene

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:42 pm

A vacume leak would do it to :o
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Bad Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

carburators

Postby Bad Boy » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:24 pm

I have two of them, just work with the sitting that is in the book.
To the Next Level
1953 Super Custom Cub
Larry Matalas
Kenosha, Wisconsin

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:31 pm

That's how mine acts when it gets water in it. I'd open the sediment bowl drain on teh carb, and see what comes out. I had such a problem with water at one time that I got good enough to open the sediment bowl drain, drop the water and put it back in, with the tractor running without stalling it out.
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:50 am

My advice would be to never have the possibility of gasoline dripping on the engine while it is running. Back in the 1950's, I saw a Cub overfilled at a gas station. The owner started it while gasoline was still dripping off the edges of the hood. The tractor caught fire. Fortunately the gas cap had been placed back on the filler neck before cranking and the fire was extinguished without major damage to the tractor. Sediment bowl removal while running is too risky for me.
Luck favors those who are prepared

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:00 am

no, the carb sediment bowl(float bowl). Not the gas tank sediment bowl. If you take the drain plug out of the back of the carb, when running, the gasoline hits your shoe, and nothign else.

True, no one should ever do what I do.
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:32 am

John,

This is an interesting phenomenon.

Donny and I were talking in the chat the other night, and we realized that there are 2 classes of "actions".....one that we do, and one that we should recommend to others.

Myself, I pretty much do anything that I know isn't guaranteed to end in disaster.....you weigh ease and probability of success against personal safety. For others, however, before recommending it, I try and look at all "potential" problems, and assess the dangers involved.

On my own projects, when something does go wrong, I pretty much can say "I knew that was going to happen", and get on with it. If you tell someone else to do it that way, and something explodes, catches fire, or cracks and flies into shrapnel, you feel real bad. :( :( :(

So, using the disclaimer "No one else should do what I do"...is probably a good idea....those of us who can forsee the potential disasters will proceed at our own risk...... :D :D :D :D :D

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:08 pm

Sediment bowl is really all I read. If water comes from the fuel tank, the sediment bowl (mounted under the fuel tank) will catch most of it until the sediment bowl is full of water. That water cannot escape that bowl except by removing and emptying the bowl. In rare instances, the freezing of that water has broken the glass sediment bowl. After the neighbors added water to the fuel tank of one of my Cubs, I emptied the sediment bowl and drained the carburetor several times. More than a trace of water in the carburetor will seriously affect the running of a Cub. I carry tools on the tractor for servicing water problems in the sediment bowl and carburetor.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Return to “Farmall Cub”