This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I hate mowing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

I hate mowing

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:15 pm

Unless its with my cub :!: :!: :!:

It took me two hrs to get my 44" swicher pull mower going. Then I had to run into town and get a new belt. I have not used it in 3.5 years since I got the cub. The only good thing about having to use it is once I get it wired up right maby I can sell it :?: :idea: Its a pain to use a four wheeler to pull it the cub turns in half the distance and I can get a lot closer to my edges. Then runnin' two engines to do the same job :cry: And my cub leaves a LOT nicer looking job. I am really looking forward to gettin' my wheels back on and hooking up the mott I got from Ron :D

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:51 pm

I hate mowing too. I dislike all things that will not "stay done". Washing dishes, mowing, taking a bath. I mean, you can do them today and three weeks later, they need doing again. :)
Luck favors those who are prepared

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:28 pm

Bus Driver wrote:I hate mowing too. I dislike all things that will not "stay done". Washing dishes, mowing, taking a bath. I mean, you can do them today and three weeks later, they need doing again. :)

About like getting your hair cut, big waste of time :!: :wink: :lol:
8)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:28 pm

:oops: What I was getting at was how much nicer the cub is to mow with. I did not realise how good of a job it does untill I had to use somthing else :!: + I have one of Rick's awesome drink holder mirror combo's on it to get me through :wink: I only spend 4-5hrs a week mowing anyway.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Cowboy- I have one of the swisher mowers too-- they do like belts :lol: :lol: I made an attachment to front mount mine just so I could trim closer-pull two pins and I am free to ride (as long as the Mrs dosen't have anything else for me) :lol: :lol: But one thing is for sure I wished I had known about a Cub before I spent 10k on the 4wheeler, cab, mower, and snowblower-- I would be at least 5k ahead :shock:

Lloyd430
1947 Farmall Cub, SN 9920

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:14 pm

I have the same problem with my hair Donny.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:34 pm

Lloyd:

I have been a little envious of all the neat toys my father-in-law has or has had over the last almost 25 years that Em and I have been married. He has had a few 4 wheelers that I have wanted to claim as my own. But I am glad that Em said no, not this year dear..... and waited for my Cubs.. cause they are a lot more fun.

No, they don't go as fast, and they don't go everywhere a 4 wheeler or a Terra-Jet might go.. but.. it sure is a lot more enjoyable sittin on a Cub and enjoying life leisurely.. and I haven't even got the mowers set up yet... :!: :arrow: :shock: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:43 pm

Rudi- its a funny thing, my brother in law showed up at my house this spring wit the newest, biggest, fastest- 4 wheeler on the market just bragging up and down--- but the other day he called me about a Cub he was interested in :lol: :shock: They are about the same size 4 wheeler vs Cub, actually I used the 4 wheeler to pull out the cub last fall when it got stuck in a little trench from the backhoe :roll: .. Like you said the only difference is the speed----and maken' mud fly :P :P ! But now the brother in law has a Cub, he's realized that the fun machine can't do as much work as working machine while having fun :wink:

Lloyd430

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:03 pm

:wink: :oops: :roll: :shock: :wink: 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

What else is there to say huh :?: :?: :arrow:

he's realized that the fun machine can't do as much work as working machine while having fun
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:39 pm

I GET A HAIR CUT AND A SHAVE ONCE A YEAR[LATE FEB OR EARLY MARCH]I LIKE CUTTING GRASS AND ALWAYS HAVE [NOBODY BOTHERS SOMEONE WHO IS CUTTING GRASS]MY BIG TRACTOR [1950 H] OR LITTLE ONES [2 CUBS SICKLE OR FLAIL] AND THE BEST MIND EASING THINGS IN THE WORLD.I LIKE TO THINK!!!!!IT USED TO BE ON HARLEYS BUT EVERYONE HAS ONE NOW!I LOVE BEING AT HOME AND SEEING HOW MUCH MY GIRL FRIEND MAKES ON THE GARDEN SELLING VEGITABLES.WE DID REAL WELL LAST YEAR.I THINK SHE MISSES CUTTING GRASS BUT I HAVE TO MUCH FUN DOING IT KETCHAM ----CAN SOME ONE SEND SNOW HERE THIS YEAR!!!!I WANT TO USE MY BLADE HAHAHA!!!!! SEE YA
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:27 am

Yep!!! I was digging a drainage ditch by hand (and filling it with 1 1/2 stone and 4" pipe) wishing I had Rick's backhoe! And for a break I mowed the trail and a 'cleared' area that hadn't been mowed in a couple of years. Rufus made me proud, the C-2 was flattening stuff that was over the top of the hood like it was nothing. The new belt worked well. Rudi, you will like that mower when ya get it rolling.

Rufus has been in operation for a year now. Never mowed sitting down before. I do like it!

I get a haircut twice a year.... Just before Cubfest I got one and he cut it a bit (OK a lot) short. Not complaining about the great weather, but the tops of my ears did see more sun last weekend then they do in a decade.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Why not pull the Swisher with the Cub?
I mow 4+ acres with either my 49 Cub or 154 loboy and a Haban 60" pull behind. Sure cuts down on mowing time. I got pretty good at getting close to trees with the Haban, within 2-3". I mow around the house, barn, everywhere except rough terrain.
I notice no difference in the quality of cut, my Haban is a finish mower.
I'd like to upgrade to a 60" Swisher, the Haban is poorly designed maintenance wise.

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:51 pm

If you think a Haban is poorly designed look closer at the Swisher 60"-there is no design to it :roll: ...The engine is in such a bad place when you change the oil- they give you a piece of hose to keep it from running everywhere!! I own one swisher and it will be the last.

Lloyd430

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:46 pm

lloyd430 wrote:If you think a Haban is poorly designed look closer at the Swisher 60"-there is no design to it :roll: ...The engine is in such a bad place when you change the oil- they give you a piece of hose to keep it from running everywhere!! I own one swisher and it will be the last.

Lloyd430

The Haban (now Agri Fab) doesn't even have the hose. Oil runs all over the deck unless you get a small funnel under it. The Haban has small plastic anti scalp rollers in front that fill with grass and don't turn. Mine wears completely flat in a few weeks. I removed them and fabbed some casters last winter. Drive belts come off unless you shut off engine with blades engaged. Blade engaging mechanism needs rewelding a couple times a year, keeps breaking somewhere new. That's due for a redesign this winter.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:52 pm

The only thing I can say for the swisher is the B&S 12.5 hp engine. It sat outside for three years backed under a F-150 and a tarp throwen over it. Hit it with a starting fluid twice and it fired up and kept running. The 1/2 belt you can just barely get on the engine pully by turning it sideways and pushing it under with a long screwdriver. The belts sit too deep in the pullys and hit on the center of the belt. I put a 5/8 belt on it and it did better but you have to unbolt the engine and lift it up to get it on. As far as pullin it with the cub I have too many things to mow around. And it uses way too much gas and is noisy besides :!: The tires are on the outside of the deck and you cannot get closer than 8" inches to anything you want to mow around. I have to mow with it one more time then its for sale :!:

Billy

Return to “Farmall Cub”