This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

anothe accident

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

anothe accident

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:08 am

A brother in law of the guy who rents the farm next to ours was going to cultivate his mother's garden with her cub. The charging system had a problem, and since they were using it to cultivate the wheels were set in to mimum spacing. He drove it up the hill to the gate, and when he got back on to go through the gate it died. He let it roll back down the hill and was cutting the wheels to turn it around so they could pull it, when he stated the front wheel hit a rock (they are common in this area) and the steering wheel spun cutting the tractor sharply, and it rolled over. he cleared the tractor itself, but the cultivator hit him as it rolled breaking a hip. His wife raised it enough to get him clear. Don't mess with Mo. women. Unless they want you to that is.
Last edited by John *.?-!.* cub owner on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:25 am

John,

I've had mine with 2 wheels off the ground enough to know how easy it would be to roll. One imagines that one could "step off" as it went over, but I imagine that in reality that would not be the case. This might sound stupid, but "old yeller", with the deluxe seat seems a whole lot more stable, since my body weight is more centered on the tractor. In reality, I guess I should add an extra wheel weight to the left side of my red one, to compensate for me.

I need to find me a girlfriend from Missouri.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:36 am

Posts like these really bring you back to reality, don't they? You gotta use your noggin and keep alert when driving these tractors...

I hope that the fellow is OK and that he recovers from the broken hip.

WOW...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70453
Tractors Owned: 1974 IH Cub
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow

Tractor Tip

Postby LYNYRD » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:24 pm

I was fifteen years old and mowing with dad's prize 1975 y/w cub, let cub get into compromising position on ditch bank, tractor tipped over and rear rim caught my archilles heel pinning me down. I watched the gas seep out around tank while battery acid was burning holes into my leg. the area was covered with St. Augustine grass, by the time Mom got there it looked like hogs had rooted all the grass away(I was doing some clawing to try and free myself). She picked rear of cub up wheel weights and all (this is a petite women). I was free and on the way to hospital with a boke foot. I lived

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:57 pm

I know mine looks a little strange set as wide as it is. However when I was a kid I almost rolled one also. That's the main reason I set the wheels as far out as I do. Plus I really like the way it looks. :)

Ron Thomas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40402
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall 130

Postby Ron Thomas » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:11 am

My farm here in eastern KY is pretty hilly; steep in places. Last fall I was mowing my back field with my '57 Cub - going up and down a slope and keeping the engine on the high side. As I turned to come back down, the left steering knuckle broke and the wheel turned right angle to the line of travel. Tractor came up off the ground and I thought I was going over. Always thought I could jump clear if that happened. Ain't no way! Fortunately the tractor did not roll. I no longer mow that back field with my Cub.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:11 pm

I rebuilt my brother-in-laws 49 last winter. The worst part was trying to fix everything caused when he rolled his over. Got lucky and just broke his arm. His is now set wide like mine.

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Since I live on the edge of the prarie I don't have a lot of hills but there are still ditch banks etc. Having been on this farm since 1951 I don't get a lot of surprises and I don't take a lot of chances. It also helps to have had eleven zillion hours in the seat of a lot of different tractors but you only have to slip up once like I did this spring when I found that ash log I had "miss-placed" by hopping over it with my Farmall Super M with a loader and 3 pt.. bush-hog... :(
I don't recall what I said at that moment but I'm sure it was something very profound and probably not at a whisper. :oops:
I have the rear wheel weights off of my CUB but I need to get them back on. They do a lot for stability. Liquid ballest in the rears is the best as it lowers the center of gravity a lot but I hate calcium chloride. I may put in some regular anti-freeze. That is being done more and more all of the time on bigger farm tractors. Of course those little CUB tires won't hold a lot. My "green CUB" (Yanmar YM-1500) is even narrower (41" outside to outside) but I believe its weight is a little lower.
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:45 pm

About 7-8 years ago I was cleaning up a weedy field I bought to prep it for mowing. It had numerous 2+ foot long steel rods stuck in the ground (who knows why). I was using a chain and the rear lift arm and had succesfully pulled most of them out. I backed up to one, hooked the chain,
got back on the seat and tried to raise the lift arm. I then noticed the chain hook had caught under the drawbar. I figured to just pull ahead a few inches and try again. Apparently my foot slipped off the clutch and the tractor decided to get one last bit of traction from the rock hard tires. This resulted in the tractor flipping over backward. (Not nearly as funny as the tractor tipping in the CARS movie.)
All I remembered is suddenly standing straight up on the ground and seeing the radiator cap coming at me. I dove/ran out of the way. I was able to right the tractor by hand (I must be strong when I am really mad)and drive it back to the shop.
I tturned out to be a rod about 10 feet long with a big plate/washer at the end, the kind used to hold building walls from bowing out.
It was a Friday night near dark in a field and I lived alone then, I woulda laid there for days if I got pinned.
I credit the mods I made to the steering post and seat post for giving me the room to get my 6'5" body off somehow.
The rough straightened, Bondoed, and painted steering wheel is a constant reminder to be moe careful.

Joker555
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joker555 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:28 am

I found a creasolt piling(Telephone Pole) in the bayou in front of my house.
I thought that it would be a good idea to retrieve it for building my dock.
So I attached a chain to the hook on the rear lift to pick it up far enough
to lift it from the mud and roll it onto the bank.
BAAAAD idea!!!!!
Almost flipped backward. Hooked it to bottom trailor ball,and GOTRDONE!
Yes,I was a little scared. OK ALOT SCARED. My great uncle died on a HI Clear. Highway accident. :(

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:26 am

The University of Nebraska tractor test lab has the specially built tractor that they use to demonstrate what happens if you hook up a large resisting weight wrongly. You roll over backwards very quickly. Pure physics. The vectors lift the front wheels. If hooked properly the force vectors are horizontal or drive the front wheels into the ground.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

double R
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby double R » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:31 am

I worked with a fellow who was bush hogging about this time last year on a hill nest to a wood line with aFord (not sure what mod.) and upset, pinning him to the ground where he died. He lived alone and wasn't found for three days. He been around farm machines since birth. You can't be to carefull around this stuff.

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:55 am

I have "a lot" of experience and a long record of being accident free... "BUT"!!! I find that as I get older that I have become more like the absent minded professor type. I can see the bigger picture of the whole cosmos better than ever but I fear becoming "detail stupid". :)
I try to make up for it with more caution but "stupid" can be a powerful force... :D
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

liquid plumber
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55014
eBay ID: blubberhunter2
Tractors Owned: 1947 mccormic farmall cub
1965 farmall cub w/ fasthitch and wagner loader
1974 cub cadet
howard rotavater and gear reducer
fasthitch plow
fasthitch disc
fasthitch snowblower ( in the works)
woods 42 mower
Richmond planter w/ fertilizer attachment.
cultivator.

Re: anothe accident

Postby liquid plumber » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Hello All,
grew up around tractorsf all kinds. learned safty on the farm about augers tractors combines etc.
was using my 49 cub to mow a friends lakebank parralle to the lake ( about 15 feet from lake ) and on a very slight side hill when front tire hit a hidden log and flipped me sideways. jumped clear but got hit by a part of the tractor when jumping.
like the person earlier on this thread, watched gas run out and tractor was still running. was able to shut down and walk away . very lucky.
had very sore left shoulder after that and hasn't been the same since.
just took one little log to show me how unsafe a SMALL incline can be. BE SAFE alive. and for goshsakes no texting while mowing LOL
Chris Milow
Christopher Milow
,getting to Know Jesus
better as my Friend every day
I thank him for his love and grace
:thanx:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: anothe accident

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 pm

Glad you only have a bruised shoulder. Even small tractors can give youa surprise.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”