This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rating/length for ramps

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Virgin Andy
10+ Years
10+ Years

ramps or trailer

Postby Virgin Andy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:57 am

You could do what I did last year at CUB-ARAMA. I brought my Cub down on/in a U-Haul 5' x 9' ramp trailer that rents for $25.00 a day. The trailer was stout and pulled great with a load capacity of around 2300 LBS.

Since you mentioned hauling your Cub around would be occasional I thought I would tell you about the U-Haul trailer option. This way you don't need to buy a trailer, maintain a trailer, insure a trailer, license a trailer, or store a trailer.

Andy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

How do you fix it to the trailer?

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:43 am

This is a REALLY interesting and useful thread, thank you.

I have a question that is related to this. Say you're using one of those U-Haul utility trailers. They have short steel bar sides, right, and you can tie down the equipment to those? I recall Rudi saying in some other thread that you need to be sure to use chains to tie down your Cub while traveling, not nylon ratchet straps. Once you have your Cub on the trailer, what is the best way to tie it down for safe travel?

Thank you, Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")
--------------------------
"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:02 am

Jocelyn, you will get a lot of replies and opinions to your question. Regulations vary state to state. I bleieve that according to curretn Federal regualtions, loads under 10,000 pounds only require 2 tie downs, but Personally I prefer 4, one pulling dagonally form each corner. I di use the 10K web straps, but am very careful aobut vhafing, etc. and repalce them when they become worn. Chains are a more durable choice, but will damgae paing mor easily if you are not careful, and are less handy to work with.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:03 am

Jocelyn - there is always controversy over what is acceptable and / or legal when we transport our tractors. USDOT has standards that no one can seem to agree on whether we must comply with. Truckers who carry cargo must secure it to those standards. Some in this hobby and some law enforcement officers say the hobbyists must meet those same standards and some disagree. Either way, I prefer to err on the side of safety and try to secure my tractors so that they will stay with the trailer should something happen. I use a combination of chains and 10,000 pound rated straps. I also have tie down brackets mounted to the tractor. This provides a convenient place to attach the chains and protects the paint on the tractor at the same time.
The DOT requires transport grade chains at all 4 corners when transporting wheel vehicles. Transport grade chains are grade 70 and are identified by their gold color. They're not cheap either!
The real key here is to use some common sense. I see some tractors transported with 1" wide straps that wouldn't hold a 500 pound load in an accident. Not only does that put the tractor at risk but the liability factor gets really scarey in my book!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:13 am

Jocelyn,

This well written article on trailering in the ATIS FAQ has a lot of good info. I *think* it was written by one of our forum members.

http://www.atis.net/transfaq.html
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Some yrs ago I was helping a friend move. We needed to haul a car of his that was temporarily out of service :lol: :lol: . Well anyway my trailer at the time didn't have ramps to handle auto weight so I bought a set of steel ones that said they could handle 2000lbs. just about like what Northern sells. It was a kodak moment for sure. The car got exactly half way when the ramps promply folded up and let the car drop to the ground. We were laughing as hard as we could and Dave almost sh@#$##^%t his pants.
So much for the 2000lb. rating. I thought with only one half of the car on at a time it would work. And the car was a little Dodge Shadow. I never owned or will trust a set of those since.

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:29 am

after 5 lawns yesterday I'm a little stiff this morn, love those ramps! anyway, all this tie down talk got me to thinkin'. my buddy has an enclosed 14' trailer and hauls around a Kubota zero turn with only the parking brake on. Bigdog, what do the Feds say about enclosed trailers? I know when you forget to set the brake and take off from a stop the machine tries to exit through the rear ramp/door. my buddy figured that out the other day, didn't go through but made a nice dent.

Andy brings up a good point, if trailering is only occasional, U-haul is a great option. however, there's no substitute for the convenience of an owned trailer at your disposal 24/7.
Chad
'54 Cub

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 am

If you go to most any good sized truck stop you can buy what is called
a federal safety rules & regulations handbook for about $13.00 prices very.
It is light green & white W/ black letters measures around 3 1/2" x 5".
It depends on the officer but this is the book that everybody is to use.

As a full time Tractor trailer driver take it for me if you loose your load the amout of the fine is around the price of a real good cub.( never lost one & don't plan to but had one of our drivers loose one fine $4500.00
+ road repair & damage to car that it hit.)
Not to say anything about cost of damages or lifes!!!!!!!!!!!

A real good rule of thumb.
Tie it down 4 ways with 4 diff. tie downs.
People laugh but if it makes you feel better put on more as you can never have to MANY.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:59 am

Stan's Cub wrote:what do the Feds say about enclosed trailers?

Generally, they say about the same thing enclosed or not. Specificly:

General Rule
Cargo must be firmly immobilized or secured on or within a vehicle by structures of adequate strength, dunnage (loose materials used to support and protect cargo) or dunnage bags (inflatable bags intended to fill space between articles of cargo or between cargo and the wall of the vehicle), shoring bars, tiedowns or a combination of these.

Cargo Placement and Restraint
Articles of cargo that are likely to roll must be restrained by chocks, wedges, a cradle or other equivalent means to prevent rolling. The means of preventing rolling must not be capable of becoming unintentionally unfastened or loose while the vehicle is in transit. "

Note that they say "on or within". You can read more details here:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:09 pm

FarmLadyWannaB Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:43 am Post subject: How do you fix it to the trailer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a REALLY interesting and useful thread, thank you.

I have a question that is related to this. Say you're using one of those U-Haul utility trailers. They have short steel bar sides, right, and you can tie down the equipment to those? I recall Rudi saying in some other thread that you need to be sure to use chains to tie down your Cub while traveling, not nylon ratchet straps. Once you have your Cub on the trailer, what is the best way to tie it down for safe travel?

As a rule, chains or properly rated ratchet type straps used in conformity to local, State, Provincial, National and INTERNATIONAL regulations.. (even though the US and Canada share much of the same basic requirements, it is safe to check before going across the border -- in either direction). I really don't remember saying not to use nylon, as I do use them myself... I think I may have said that we used chains to tie down Ellie when we hauled her in behind my 87 Voyager -- now that was an experience I do not want to repeat -- ever :!: :arrow: :!:

I also choose to err on the side of caution. If in doubt.. use the recommended for commercial.. this way you stay safe and you don't PO any state troopers, or Commercial Vehicle Enforcement people.

As far as the U-Haul trailers.. there should be tie down points on the trailers, as they are marketed for hauling bikes, lawn mowers etc... and I would not be too sure as to the legality as well as the security of those low rails.. they may be sufficient.. but then again, they may not..

My Brother-in-law.. owns a Crane company.. and sometimes we have an occassional flying cub around.. we use nylon ratchet straps to tie the Cubs down when hauling on his tag-along or even on the truck bed itself. We also use commercial slings to help..

Safety, Safety, Safety is the mantra.. shortcuts are a no-no..... Always listen to what GOD gave us in between our ears... if it don't feel safe.. it probably isn't.... :idea: :!: :idea:

Those nylon wheel sling tie down straps seem useful, but I have not used any yet... they may also be an option... used in conjunction with other tie downs.... thoughts :?: :?:

The nice thing about Cubs and Implement Mounting Pads, is that there is a plethora of Safe attachment points for tie-downs. Also, if you do a search on the topic of Tie-Downs, there are a number of threads that also have pics of neat tie-downs used by Cubbers for transporting on trailers..

The one thing I refuse to do though, is to transport a Cub in the back of a pickmeuptruck.. That is really SCAREY :!: :!: :!: :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:32 am

Jim,
I could not find that & thank you very much for the posting of it.
It should clear up alot of questions.

Dale
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”