This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I'M A TRACTOR LADY NOW! (...with a serial number mystery)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:48 am

:D Hi Farm Lady

Congrats on you new (old) cub :!: And welcome to the form :wink: This link will give a quick overview of farm tools
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14017

I have tried to pull brush out with a cub. It is not safe nor is the cub heavy or strong enough and I was afraid I was going to break my cub. I have had the right tire actuall come off the ground becuse I was not pulling strait from the stump. Also what ever you use make shure it is hooked low so if the chain or strap should break or pop off it will shoot under the tractor or truck rather than shooting up and hitting you. I used my 4x4 ford exploder to pull out 80+ mulberry trees two years ago ut to 3" dia som in clumps. I had also used it to pull out a apple tree stump that was cut off at the ground. I dug around it cutting off the roots I could. When I pulled it it bounced off the far side of the hole flew up in the air and hit the back of the truck next to the rear window denting the cab. I saw it coming and really steped on the gas but couldn't get away from it. I have found it best to push a tree over with a loader as long as its not rotted or dead or has big dead branches in which case it can break off and come back on top of you. Rember that the old timers used to plow around the stumps untill they rotted away. They make stuff to rot stumps down quickly but I would not use them in a pasture where my horse could get into it.

Good luck Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:09 pm

Thank you Billy (and everyone else) for the tips on implements and ESPECIALLY for ideas on removing trees. :!: I know there will come a time to hire someone to do clearing with a dozer--we want to retire to that land in Maine some day--but right now we enjoy taking our time and doing it the slow sweaty way. My husband REALLY likes chainsawing :shock: :!: :!: and I'm too cheap (I mean frugal) to pay anybody at the moment. By the time we retire up there, we are going to have enough wood to heat a house for the rest of our natural lives :!: 8) . We sure won't be buying any foreign oil :!: :D

The areas I am clearing first are covered with weeds, brambles, shrubs, saplings etc.--we use a DR 15hp field & brush mower, a great machine :!: Underneath the brush, however, is a mess of rotting logs & debris that has to be hauled out before any tilling & seeding can happen. We do cut down some medium-size trees but "selectively," in logging parlance. No reason a pasture can't have some trees for shade, I figure.

BTW, Western Maine is purty cheap :!: as cost of living goes--you should see the price of houses :!: :D and at Dick's Pizza (which is more of a diner than a pizza place) you can get a cheeseburger and fries for $1.85 :shock: You'll never find those prices in CT :!: They have the best fish chowder I've ever tasted, and everybody likes their real Maine delicacy, SALMON PIE :shock: :? :) :D :lol: which I admit took some getting used to but I decided I liked it. I really do come from a long line of Maine and Massachusetts cheapskates I mean Yankees. My ancestors were some of the first English settlers on the Maine coast, where they had a rock farm but had better luck lobstering. Before that they were in Rhode Island. I think somebody got in trouble down there and they had to 'git out of town' :shock: Who on earth would leave nice civilized RI to settle the coast of Maine in the early 1700s :?: :!: :shock:

Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")
--------------------------
"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:42 am

CUBGRATULATIONS Joslyn...You're gonna have a GREAT time workin' on your 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub :!: :!: :wink: My 1948 Cub has serial number 20500 and the engine (still the original) was built in October 1948. :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:01 am

Civilized??? I suppose RI is civilized, but as I was driving back from Maine yesterday there was a steady stream of cars going the other way. Guess I don't understand golf, but I sure don't understand paying to watch someone else play a game. Some kind of LPGA tournament going on here.

After watching the boys plow up Gene's fields in Ohio I can tell ya that it don't work that way in Maine. There is a reason those fields are abandoned, the smart ones moved to the midwest! :lol: That's why I call mine a 'rock farm and tree ranch'. I can fill you in on some of the finer points one day. I recommend a 'brush cutting saw' to keep the grass and saplings down until you get to a point where it becomes a 'field' again. I am still cutting around stumps that are more than 10 years old. I did pull a bunch with my truck (trying to get the receiver out of the hitch) but one tough one broke the 10,000 # strap and now I got some chain tracks up the tailgate. It would have to be an easy pull for me to even think about doing it with the Cub (DON'T) especially with a chain. I only have one noggin' and I have way too much work in Rufus.

You may find someone with a dozer that will do some work. I found a guy that had one to build his house with and had him do some work at his leisure, did an awesome job on a roadway for us. But he sold the dozer a few years back.

Cubs are great for mowing....
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 3Small.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”