This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle Lever

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Junior
10+ Years
10+ Years

Throttle Lever

Postby Junior » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:04 pm

My throttle lever wont stay in the notches when in the fast position. Is there a common fix for this without buying new parts? thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:09 pm

Take a three cornered file and rework the notches in the detent. Then check the lever to see if there is a grove worn in it. This can sometimes be cured with a straight file. If it is to bad another one can be purchased from TM Tractor Parts or a new one is still available at Case I/H. Watch your wallet they can be expensive.

Junior
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Junior » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:19 pm

My lever has a grove which is deep. It looks like a rear gun sight. I thought of making a slot where the detent attaches and moving it up. Then the lever will contact the detent at an unworned spot on the lever. Has any one tried this? Junior

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:51 pm

George Willer has previously posted his technique of gas welding the worn places and filing to shape- that would make it as new. My gas welding is not so good, so I weld mine with the MIG. I fudge the thickness up to about 1/8" in the area of the notches. That gives twice the wearing area. The lever also wears less with the thicker surface. The notches are spaced 1/4" on center when recutting. I also weld up the lever if it is worn and grind it to shape. Cutting the notches in the thicker section is much slower.
Luck favors those who are prepared

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:12 pm

I bought one from JP Salvage, only $25 with the lever; but the welding idea is a great one! :shock: I wished I'da thunk of that back when I needed it! :oops:
All this proves is that one gnome pounding on the keyboard for years still will not produce the works of Shakespeare.
No animals were hurt in the rending of this page, but 18 queries were mangled in about 3.874 seconds.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:47 pm

That is what I did and I can tell you.. just about anybody can weld better than I can. But with a little judicious use of the grinding wheel and a good file, the lever came out good as new and I am still using it. I redid 3 at the same time, so I have a few spares.

As for the quadrant.. a triangular fine file (similar to a file used to sharpend plywood blades for a circular or table saw) will work wonders.. but it the quadrant is badly worn, the best and most reliable fix is a new quadrant. They are still available from CaseIH.. but the price is a bit much.. I think I paid $20.00 for a replacement.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

dyt4000
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dyt4000 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:52 am

I carefully used a dremel and disc.

Return to “Farmall Cub”