This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Timing Problem Fixed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Timing Problem Fixed

Postby VinceD » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:50 pm

I just wanted to share some good news with everyone.

After I got the electrical system working like a charm (thanks again) I decided to tune things up a bit. I checked the timing and the timing light showed it was actually firing “after” TDC by about 5 degrees. I tried adjusting the distributor but it was already at the maximum advance allowed by the lower bolt.

I started reading the forum posts and came to the conclusion the governor was not timed correctly. I set the engine at TDC and pulled the distributor. The slot for the distributor was at 12 and 6, not at 2 and 8 as shown in the picture posted by John *.?-!.* cub owner on May 26 as part of post http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13623. Not a problem. I would just pull the governor and re-time it by lining up the punch marks on the gears.

I followed the instructions in the post but no matter what I did, the slot for the distributor would end up at 12 and 6. I installed that governor at least 6 times with the same results each time. :? :x :?

I was just about ready to start taking apart the front of the engine to check the marks on the idler gear and crankshaft when I re-read another of John’s post on the same subject. He said,
One note to add, the idler gear needs to be timed to the crankshaft also, if it isn't correct, lining up the marks on the idler gear and governor gear will still leave the timing off. Even if none of the marks match, once you have the governor set so the drive slot is as shown at TDC, the mag will time ok.
That was the answer to the problem!!! :idea:

With the engine at TDC I installed the governor so the distributor slots were at 2 and 8. I installed the distributor with the adjustor bolt in the center of the slot, hooked everything up and gave it a try.

Not only did it fire right up and run like a jack rabbit but the timing was almost exactly 16° BTDC. I adjusted the carb and found it will now idle much slower than before. I also have a wider range on the throttle handle. I went for a test ride and found it had significantly more power.

Today was just a really good day. :D

Thanks to everyone who has posted such great information on so many topics. It certainly saved me a lot of needless work.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:14 pm

Well Vince you got to love it when a plan comes togather.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:10 pm

Vince:

Well Done !!!!! Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:12 pm

Congratulations, now if my kids and wife would jsut pay attention to my advice......
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:23 pm

vince: along with timing the engine correctly, you could remove the slop in the cross shaft where it enters the governor. there are a couple of ways to do it, but i prefer cross drilling the governor output arm and installing two allen type set srews.

my demo cub would not take off in 3rd gear or get the woods 59 up to speed before this simple change. maybe that was how it found it's way to be auctioned.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

dyt4000
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dyt4000 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:13 pm

Congrats!! Free horsepower is a beautiful thing!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:32 pm

artc wrote:vince: along with timing the engine correctly, you could remove the slop in the cross shaft where it enters the governor. there are a couple of ways to do it, but I prefer cross drilling the governor output arm and installing two allen type set srews.

my demo cub would not take off in 3rd gear or get the woods 59 up to speed before this simple change. maybe that was how it found it's way to be auctioned.

Art:

A sketch maybe :?: Sounds like a real good mod.. :D 8) :!: :idea: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”