This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub 1940 H

PTO

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 am

I'm looking for some detailed instructions (if any are avalible) for removing the PTO shaft. I have the Cub Manual and the Parts Catalog but they don't hold my hand enough ! My question is when you pull the cover off -does the shaft just pull out also? I remember reading posts and they talked about the shifter rod assembly being hard to get lined up or something like that. I just don't want to open it up and go "oh man now how do I get this back together" ! I've got a leak around the PTO and would like to replace the oil seal, bearing and gaskets . I thought there might be some step by step information that I could go to as I work on this. Mike
Mike's 49 Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:08 am

Removal is easy, just remove the small palte around the pto, and it all slides out. Reinstallation is a little more difficult, you have to look through the oil fill plug and line up the shifter rod in the slot in the collar. some people use a long oblt or threaded rod, in the lower holes, to steady it while reinstalling.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

dyt4000
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dyt4000 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:57 am

I just reinstalled mine. I did it by hand but I removed the PTO lever gate to get more movement which made lineing it up easier.

Dkeener
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dkeener » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:04 am

Just removed and replaced mine yesterday. Gave it n a new seal and cleaned and lubed the bearing. Removal is a cinch. Just take off the plate surrounding the PTO shift lever, remove the bolts at the rear, and pull it out.

Reassembly is a bit trickey. Look through the filler hole to line up the shaft and align the lug on the shifter with the groove in the slider. You do this more by feel than by sight. It should drop in with the shaft about half an inch from being all the way "home." When all is well the shaft should be fully seated and you can see the shift lever move the slider.

BTW, unless you intend to change the gasket and seals I see no reason to remove the shaft. The bearing can be lubed vcia the zerk fitting.

Good Luck,

Dennis (51)

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub 1940 H

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:33 pm

I'll let you know how it goes. If it goes well I'll tell you when I'm done, if not you'll hear from me as I go ! Mike
Mike's 49 Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”