This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer Loading

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Trailer Loading

Postby Peter Person » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:02 am

Looking for input on how best to load my Cub w/Fasthitch and front & rear wheel weights, disk harrow, bottom plow, and Bigdogs plow on the 6' x 12' UHaul trailer I'm renting.

Driving straight on with the disk harrow hitched is easiest but does it have the best weight distribution?
I know there have been several threads on this subject and I've read the ATIS article on towing, but I've not seen a tried & true setup.
I'll be loading Thursday morning and leaving before 2:00pm, camping over in PA, and then pulling into Gene's around 2:00 on Friday if all goes well.
Thanks,
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:07 am

Peter:

For CubFest Northeast 2004, on the trip out, I loaded Ellie onto a comparably sized trailer nose first and with the implements and other stuff strategically placed (read wherever it fit :wink: :arrow: :lol: ) in and around Ellie. I found it ok to haul, but it tended to wander a bit.

On the way back home, I changed things around and loaded her, rear first and then tossed in the rest of the stuff. Handled much better and felt lighter. I guess this meant that the weight was distributed much better, with most being toward the front and hence to the tongue and rear of the 3/4 ton Chevy... It was an easy and enjoyable pull.

Some of the others will pop in with their experienced I imagine.. but thought that I might share my limited experience hauling Cubs in to the ring...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:16 am

Peter,
It depends a little on what you are using to tow the trailer with. If you are towing with a heavy 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, then I would drive the tractor on the trailer, with the disk attached (as you mentioned, and drive it all the way to the front. Then I would load your other attachments in the front of the trailer, along the sides of the tractor. This will give you a heavy tongue weight, but will make the trailer pull nicely, and the heavy tongue weight will not hurt the truck.

If you're pulling with a smaller truck, a light 1/2ton or Dakota or smaller pickup, or a van, I would try to load the trailer more evenly, and reduce the tongue weight to around 300 pounds. This will not overload the back of your tow vehicle, and you should try to place the majority of the weight over the axles of the trailer. This may mean backing the tractor away from the front of the trailer slightly, towards the back, until you see the weight come up off of your tow vehicle, and the trailer will begin to level out a bit.

Another thing to keep in mind, most people do not think much about tying down your tractor, but with the Cub, this is VERY important. Cubs are obviously very tall and topheavy, so proper tie down is very important. It is also important to tie in both directions, 1- to keep the tractor from rolling back off of the trailer, and 2 - and more importantly in my opinion, tie it to keep it from rolling forward while braking. No-matter what you are pulling the trailer with, you will not be accelerating too quickly, but, when you go to stop, you definitely do NOT want it to lurch forward and potentially out of the trailer onto you! Use the straps, and if you are concerned, throw on some more straps. In this case, extra is better!

Use some common sense and it will go just fine.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:19 am

I have found in the couple of times I have trailered my cub, that driving up and parking with the rear wheel right over the rear axle of the trailer seems pretty good. I have a 6x12 untility so it should be pretty similar. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:05 am

Peter, it would help to know what you are towing with, but measure hiegth of tow vehicle bumper without traier hitched, then hitch trialer and laod tractor. bumper should be 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch lower with trailer hitched. If you get it tail heavy, it will run you off the road.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:57 am

John,
My tow vehicle is a 1996 Thor 25' RV (Ford E-350 with 351 V-8) dual rear wheels.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:18 am

Since you have plenty of truck Just load it as you see fit keeping plenty of tonque weight. I have a 1ton van and I usually load most of the weight up front to ease the ride. I hauled a car and a skid stear once from Wisconsin and the stear was loaded side ways right on the tongue. I figured I had 2000lbs. of tonque weight. It just made it ride good.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:01 am

Speaking of trailer tongue weight, here's some food for thought. Always put a wooden block under the rear of the trailer to "crib" it when loading a tractor.

As you load the tractor, all that weight on the rear of the trailer will pick up on the rear of the tow vehicle. Maybe not enough to lift it off the ground but enough for the tow vehicle to lose rear traction and move. Especially on gravel, grass and/or a hill. Not as much of an issue on flat ground but it could mess up your Fruit of the Looms.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

dkeller
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dkeller » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:37 am

why even use a trailer? I've gotten my cub in the back of a mid 80's f-150 and went 100 miles, but I guess you want to go more than 55mph and you got to get more than 100 miles, once i drove my cub on my 6x12 single axle trailer and put a cadet 73 on the tail of the trailer, rode alittle heavy, I'd try to back it on.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:31 pm

Peter,
Got a couple of tip that may be useful.... Although I am not too wise about such things, I have towed a dual axle trailer (plenty of room for 2 Cubs) for hundreds of miles. One of those trips was unexpected, so I didn't have my usual selection of stuff to tie it down with. I do keep a couple of Ancra straps in the truck and they came in handy to tie the front axle tube to the front rail of the trailer. I had the front tires right up against the front of the trailer.

Hopefully useful tips....
Put the Cub in gear when you are travelling. That should help minimize any possible rolling.

Parking brake may help?? No brakes on the second one so I can't tell for sure.

If the trailer has a wooden deck you can get some of the heavy duty (square drive) screws and screw in some 2x4's or 4x4's in front and behind the wheels. I screwed in a 2x4 then secrewed another into the first (proud of my self for keeping scraps of wood in the truck and my 18v drill too)
Chain binders.
Can't hurt to throw a come-a-long as a back up... but the 3 times I hauled a Cub I used it over the torque tube near the steering post to the side rails of the trailer.

Hope that helps...

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the input.
I think we'll be OK now.
I'm gonna drive the tractor onto the trailer nose first.
See you on Friday.
Peter

P.S. Larry, I just hope that dipstick I'm bringing for you does'nt put me over the weight limit. If it does, you and Bigdog will have to decide what goes,.....the dipstick or his plow :shock:

Circle of Safety