This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO frozen

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
a-dougk1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66056

PTO frozen

Postby a-dougk1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:46 pm

In my previous message, I mentioned that my PTO was frozen.

Here's what happened. I was mowing for about 5 hours and everything was working just fine. Suddenly, I heard a loud clanking noise and smoke began to rise above the back of the tractor. I thought that maybe the belt on the mower was causing the smoke (possibly from a frozen pulley). But with the PTO disengaged, the belt moved easily on all of the pulleys, and the PTO pulley rotated freely. I added a little more grease to the PTO and started it up again. It worked for about a minute, then made a clanking noise again, and the engine died.

Now when I engage the PTO a let up on the clutch, the tractor engine threatens to die, so I've put the tractor away for now (it is in Kansas and I live in Washington state, and my vacation is over).

Anyway, does anyone know what I might have done wrong that caused the PTO to die? The only lubrication instructions I see in my operator's manual is to put 2 or 3 pumps of grease in the PTO. Is there something else I should have done? I just replaced all of the transmission fluid, and made sure it was at the proper level. Does this sound like a frozen bearing in the PTO?

Any advice welcome.

Doug
"My destiny's ta get the h*ll outa here."
Henry Fonda - My Name is Nobody

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Sounds like the bearing has seized. It is normally splash lubed from the differential fluid and the grease fitting is primarily for stationary use. It could just be bearing failure - perhaps from water accumulation if the tractor sits a lot.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm surprised it froze this time of year. Seems a little warm out to freeze. :lol: :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:11 pm

It's cause cubs are cool!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com