This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

wobbly distributor cam?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bripam
10+ Years
10+ Years

wobbly distributor cam?

Postby bripam » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:56 pm

1974 cub
My gap between the points varies greatly! If I adjust points to 0.020in at #1, then #3 doesn't even open and #4, #2 are MUCH larger gap than 0.020! :shock:

I have done several things attempting to improve poor running under load including replacing points, condensor, rotor.

Has been running very poorly and I noticed today that it is very sensitive to point gap ... must have been gapping at different lobes which was causing large changes to points.

Is this cam likely to be bent?
What is required to get the distributor off? ... Does the coil and/or governor need to be removed also?

Thank you all for your help, I have referred to the forum many times!
1974 Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:39 pm

Most likely the distrubutor shaft bushing is shot allowing the shaft to move sideways. I wouldn't think it would be bent. If you loosen the distributor clamp bolts you should be able to pull it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

bripam
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bripam » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Thanks Bigdog, I will try to get the distributor off to check the shaft and bushing.

It doesn't seem to have too much slop, rather it seems to rotate off axis as if bent (or entire cam is on an angle).
1974 Cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:35 pm

If you can see it wobble when you crank it over it is probably bent. I just don't know how it would get bent.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:31 am

:wink: Bigdog P.O.'s can do anything. I can imagine somone wraping a chain around the engine to lift it out with a loader getting ovet the dist cap busting it having it catch the end ot the shaft bending it :?: I can't belive some of the "fixes" on mine :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:44 am

I COULD DEFINATELY PICTURE THAT HAPPENING :cry:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

bripam
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bripam » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:38 pm

The distributor shaft seems to be the problem ... is this easy to dissassemble from the distributor gear (and housing)?

Do I have any chance for straightening the shaft without removing it from the housing?
1974 Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:19 pm

On most distributors there is a pin holding the gear on the bottom of the distributor to the shaft. You need to remove the pin. Then slide the gear off the shaft. There will be several screws holding the breaker plate (inside the distributor) to the distributor body and a bolt and insulator for the connection to the points/condensor. Remove the screws and bolt. At this point you should be able to pull shaft and mechanical advance out of the top of the distributor body.

The distributor is fairly straight forward. The only problem is going to be removing the pin. You might be able to drive out the pin with a small punch. Most likely you will need to drill the head of the pin off.

There is no way of striaghtening the shaft without removing it from the body.

bripam
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bripam » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:51 pm

Thanks, I have the shaft straightened :D

Any notes on lubrication, is just a couple strokes through the zerk all that is needed with some grease on the springs and counterweights?
1974 Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:20 pm

Way to go. That was fast.

After disassemble I oil the bushings, pivots and spring ends with 30 wt. Reassemble then grease the zerk.

There is a wick in the center of the shaft where the rotor mounts. Put 3 or 4 drops of 30 wt oil on the wick - hold the distributor upright - let soak in for a few minutes. This will lubricate the mechanical advance pivot. Work the advance back and forth a time or two to spread the oil and check it's action.

Eugene

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:11 pm

One thing I noticed on mine, was that the long bushing for the distributor shaft doesn't have a hole for the grease to pass through. There is a zerk in the side of the casting. How does it get lubrication?
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:32 pm

Daniel,

That bushing is most likely sintered bronze. They're made from bronze particles fused together under heat and pressure but remain porous. The lube passes through much the same as the lube does through the porous graphite TOB.

During manufacture they are usually pre-lubed and require no further attention.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

bripam
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bripam » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:28 pm

It MOWS!
Brush beware! :D :D

Now points all gap to 0.020!

Thanks for the advice, I finally got it to work! After I get this 3 foot grass mown, I look forward to mowing in 2nd!
1974 Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”