This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub #2 is home!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26321
Tractors Owned: -
1952 Farmall Cub "Squeaky"
1954 Farmall Cub "Patience"
2013 Kubota L3200

Cub #2 is home!

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:58 pm

Hi all,

Cub #2 (aka Squeaky) is in his new home! Photo below...

Now, don't get too jealous.. I had to go 4 times farther to get this Cub home than I did for my first Cub. Cub #1 (Christine) was approximately 150 feet from my workshop, sitting in my neighbor's old barn. Cub #2 (Squeaky) was in a garage about 600 feet down the road and on the other side of the street. Of course it was a long drive home, but worth it!!! My neighbor (Charlie) is 90+ years old and bought the tractor new in 1953. He gave me all of the original manuals that came with it, his wife saved them! I couldn't believe my good fortune! According to Charlie, the tractor last ran about two years ago when he stopped using it for fear of getting injured.

When I got Squeaky home, he got his name. I found the engine VERY hard to crank with the hand crank, and it made a loud squeaking noise. So I took out the plugs and started spraying rust penetrant in the holes. After it sat a while I was able to crank it a bit easier. So I started to crank it with the starter, with a fresh battery. I replaced the carb with a re-built one from Christine, then changed the plugs, wires, rotor etc. I also cleaned out the fuel strainer and added a filter. Squeaky started on the first crank, spewed smoke and sputtered for about thirty seconds, then proceeded to purr like a kitten.

Since then he's had an oil and filter change, coolant change and general cleanup. Hydraulics work great, PTO is fine (including the cool 90 degree adapter). Shifting, clutch, lights etc. seem fine. Tomorrow I'll change the gear oil in all of the cases, just for good measure. I did a compression test and found 105 pounds across the board. I think Squeaky has a future in plowing my driveway and doing chores around the yard, I have no plans to restore a gem like this. He also came with a single mold board plow and grader blade. I can't tell you what I paid for Squeaky, I don't like to see grown men cry. :D

I've posted more pictures of Squeaky at http://lappie.org/photos/hobbies/1953_cub/index.html

I feel like I won the lottery, I hope your luck is good as well.

Best regards,
BlackJeep
----- Farmall Cub - The most fun you can have with your pants on...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Congratulations, BJ.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Appears to have the original decals! It's too nice to "restore", BlackJeep, that would make it look like all the others. Great find
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 Kubota L3200

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:24 pm

Good eye Carl...

The decals are all there, even the fueling one on top of the hood, although that one is almost gone.

The tires are original too, except for the right front which was replaced with an odd tire. The rear tires have no dry rot, they look like they're a few months old!

No restoration for this one, just a comfy retirement job. :)

BlackJeep

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:06 am

That's an excellent find! 8) 8) You're doing really well up there finding those right in your neighborhood. How did your first one turn out?? Did I miss the pics?? Looked like you were about done last time I saw you post on it. I agree on the second one. Looks good "as is". 8)

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:33 am

Great find!
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 Kubota L3200

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:55 am

hr,

My first Cub is still in the state it was nearly three months ago. The house projects (repainted kitchen, extended the stone driveway, cut down trees and rented a backhoe to dig out the stumps) have been keeping me busy.

I hope to get back to it in the next few weeks, but that may be wishful thinking. My son is graduating from HS in two weeks, my parents are coming up from SC for a visit, and more..

Oh well, I'll get her done sooner or later. I'd like to be able to show her at the local fairs this fall. The latest photos are on my web site, http://lappie.org.

Be well,
BlackJeep

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:26 pm

Great Find! I bet your still grinnin ear to ear!!!!!! :lol:
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:18 pm

How come I gotta cross at least 3 state lines to bring home a Cub?? (I do know there are icebergs and ranches in TX bigger than RI.)

That sure is a nice one! Congratulations on the new family member.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:47 am

I'm in Texas and still crossed two state lines to pick up my most recent Cub. Another one was a 2 day trip without crossing any state lines.

Down here they aren't state lines, they're borders.

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Yea !

Postby countershaft » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:34 pm

like the Mexican ==============
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 Kubota L3200

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:31 pm

Buzzard,

I think I've pretty much got the neighborhood barns cleaned out at this point. My third Cub may actually require driving... :P

I'm trying to develop Big Dog style radar, so I don't have to look for Cubs, they'll find me. But I think he worked many years to develop his radar skills, so I have a long way to go.

BlackJeep

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Yea !

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:03 pm

countershaft wrote:like the Mexican ==============

No, like the Texas- Oklahoma, Texas - Arkansas etc.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:24 am

Hey Black Jeep...WAY TA GO SON...CUBGRATULATIONS on #2 :!: :!: :!: :wink:

Now...Go back and ask your neighbor nicely if he remembers seein' the round, flat belt pulley that went on that "rear right angle whatyamaycallit" :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 Kubota L3200

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:48 am

Elliot,

I actually asked him about the pulley when I picked it up, he say's it didn't come with one. It still has a protective sleeve over the spline. It sounded kind of weird to me, that it wouldn't have the pulley. I plan to take it back to his house and let him play on it, now that it's running well. I'll have to ask again about the pulley. I heard from his son that he had the matching IH cart, but he's not sure where it went.

In other news, it stopped charging!! It Worked great for the first few hours. It would go 3-5 amps negative when I turned on the ignition, then it would be 5-10 amps positive when the engine was running. Now it stays negative all the time.

Is it possible for the generator to become "un-polarized"? Or should I be looking for a relay / regulator issue?

Thanks!
BlackJeep

Return to “Farmall Cub”