This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Transmission

Postby Bus Driver » Tue May 30, 2006 6:20 am

I have no experience repairing the Cub transmission beyond repairs to the shifter cover. I have done some repairs on other transmissions, including rebuilding a Borg-Warner 3-speed for a 1947 Studebaker and a 4-speed heavy duty for larger trucks. Transmission gears under load have tremendous forces trying to push the gears away from each other. My thought is that the Cub gears, even if showing some wear, are likely to function quite well and with tolerable noise levels if the bearings are all good. I have one that is alarmingly noisy. Unless a gear is seriously chippped or broken, I plan to reuse it. All the bearings will be replaced. I have heard of replacement gears, new from unknown manufacturers, that were more noisy than the old ones they replaced. Perhaps only a few on this forum have rebuilt multiple Cub transmissions and thus the experience level is limited. Anyone have regrets about reusing an old gear? If so, why?
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue May 30, 2006 10:21 am

When I rebuilt my 49 I reused gears that were pitted slightly. I even went to the trouble to hone each gear. Boy was it ever noisy :!: :!: In second gear you couldn't hear yourself think.
Then came Ralph to the rescue and he sent me a rarely used transmission from a 154 (I think). What a difference :!: Such a difference I named the tractor after Ralph.
If I were to do it all over again, I would replace all the gears instead of trying to get by with bearings only.
Just my opinion.
8)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 30, 2006 12:16 pm

If your problem is a whine, even if pretty loud, it is teeth wear, and while it cna be annoyign, it won't hurt nayhting. If it is a rumbling, or growling type noise though, you probably have a bad bearing, which if ignored will cause a problem. which gear is making noise first?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue May 30, 2006 4:59 pm

Donny, what transmission lubricant was being used when it was so noisy?
Luck favors those who are prepared

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue May 30, 2006 5:04 pm

At first, I was using Hy-Tran then switched to 90 wt gear lube. The switch wasn't noticeable.
8)

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue May 30, 2006 7:18 pm

New gears are available from Midwest SuperCub http://www.midwestsupercub.net/trans_parts.htm . You can even change the ratios slightly. I haven't been on there site in a while and have no idea the cost involved. Might be something to look into ????

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ralph » Tue May 30, 2006 9:20 pm

I have 2 more of those cadet transmissions listed in my website
Thanks Ralph
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....