This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan Bearing?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan Bearing?

Postby Dave Irish » Thu May 25, 2006 3:50 pm

I was cubbing last night and all of a sudden I got a rat a tat tat rat a tat tat from the fan area. At first I thought the fan was just hitting a light wire connection or something with has happened before. but fan was clear of everything. It must be the bearing? I am at a loss for what direction to go. I checked with my IH dealer and he said that the bearining is sold in the hub assembly and is 300 bucks! Anything esle I should look at I plan to pop the hood off tomorrow for a closer look see. Any and all comments wecome and appreciated as always.

Thanks Dave.
" Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Thu May 25, 2006 4:07 pm

Dave,

I'm dealing with the same issue. At an Idle it doesn't do it. As soon as I bring up the RPM's I start getting a tinging sound like the fan is hitting something. It very much has a ring to it like just the end of the blade is hitting something. I noticed that my crank pulley is not on all the way and my fan belt is sloping towards the front and towards the fan blade. There is absolutely nothing else for the fan to hit as the shroud is not there and the over flow tube is not there as well. I'm going to check the fan bearing assembly. I going to see if any of the blades are tweaked once I get in there. Don't know if that helps or not.

DaveL
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu May 25, 2006 4:11 pm

:?: Is a bearing type or the Oil-Slinger type :?: I am sure if needed you could get a good replacement from one of our sponsored venders on the board here a lot cheaper. :idea:
Then came Bronson

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LARRY BALL » Thu May 25, 2006 4:32 pm

MY FRIEND BOUGHT ONE OF THE NEW AFTERMARKET FAN AND HUB ASSY. HE HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT AND I CAN'T REMEMBER IF WAS IN THE MOUNTING OR IN THE ADJUSTMENT OF THE FAN ITSELF. I WILL FIND OUT AND POST.
LARRY BALL

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu May 25, 2006 4:58 pm

I just for the first time tore down a fan assembly. There ain't much to it. No bearing per say just a shaft with an oil slinger groove and a forward and aft housing that the shaft rides directly on. maybe the shaft has too much for/aft play allowing it to clunk during RPM changes? :?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 25, 2006 5:13 pm

Bill,

The newer model Cubs have a fan assy with a sealed bearing, the housing is also a casting. I would think that the sealed bearing would be available from NAPA or your favorite auto parts store.
8)

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu May 25, 2006 5:20 pm

i ran into the same problem with the basket case, had to replace whole assy. and it was much cheaper to go with aftermarket product than IH parts. I think mine came in around $90, even painted red. :D for me.

IH dealer got it out of one of his oem after market catalogs.

john

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Thu May 25, 2006 8:50 pm

WK make sure you put that oil slinger back in the proper direction as it goes both ways. John #$%^&^ rebuilt one for us at
Doc Fest and explained it all then to us.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu May 25, 2006 9:02 pm

heres the pic

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu May 25, 2006 9:19 pm

Thanks Eviel, I was a thinkin that would be an easy mistake to make.

Return to “Farmall Cub”