This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Do you want fries with that?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CaptPaulret
10+ Years
10+ Years

Do you want fries with that?

Postby CaptPaulret » Wed May 24, 2006 7:05 pm

I was ready to install the front crankshaft pulley on my 55 cub and had to come up with a way to heat the pulley. I knew no matter how clean I had the pulley if I was to take it into the house and use sweet things oven there would be H*** to pay, even if I gave her $50 and sent her shopping with her sense of smell there was no way I would get away with it. I thought about getting out the old Coleman camp stove and heating it in a kettle of water, but didn't want it dripping water when I pressed it on. I decided to use the deep fryer without the oil, set the temp control at 275 left it in there with the cover on for 40 minutes then installed. I found with these old eyes I had trouble lining up the key on the shaft with the keyway in the pulley so I filled a 45 degree angle on both sides front edge of the key to help align the two.
Capt. Paul Ret.
Oswego, NY

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Wed May 24, 2006 7:28 pm

Good job, we always have to come up with ways to get it done without getting the wife mad. Glad it worked for ya!
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

meandmydeere
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49345
Tractors Owned: 1937 John Deere "B"
1941 John Deere "LA"
1947 John Deere "D"
1952 John Deere "B"
1949 John Deere "A"
(2) 1970 John Deere "70" L/G
1971 Case 442 L/G
1953 Farmall Cub
1962 Farmall Cub Lo Boy
w/Wagner loader
assortment of plows. disk,harvestors.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby meandmydeere » Wed May 24, 2006 8:55 pm

I take and put a little soap stone an the end of the crank shaft and I have a long bolt and a pile of washers. Put the impact to it and just keep adding washers till it's on the proper distance.
Mark
My wife say's I never listen to her, or something like that.
Amateur Extra class radio call sign AB8MS

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 24, 2006 9:26 pm

I use the coleman stove and boiling water method. the pulley is dry y the time I cna set it in place on the shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu May 25, 2006 4:35 am

BRILLIANT :idea: :shock: I guess NECESSITY really IS the MOTHER OF CUB INVENTION mechanics :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Thu May 25, 2006 9:25 am

Anyone else heard of this method?

I come from the air cooled volkswagen generation and we had a similar issue with the gear on the end of the crank. The accepted method to putting the gear on was to heat it up in motor oil. Not sure why it was just passed on in all the magazines and from mechanic to mechanic like you folks do here with heating it in the oven. Doing that it would slide on with just your hands. I think I'll try it on my parts 52 as I practice up for the real job.

DaveL
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 25, 2006 9:37 am

Gotta stupid question.... :?: :arrow: :roll: :lol:

I always see these toaster ovens in yard sales etc... $5.00 to $10.00. Would they be useful for heating up the pulleys and such :?:

Like I said, probably a stoopid question, but thought I would ask anyways..

Cheers
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu May 25, 2006 9:45 am

Hey Dave L. When I was "between" colleges (back in the mid 1960's) I served as a Warrantee Manager at Havel Motors in Morristown, N.J. (the 2nd. oldest Volkswagen Dealership to open in the U.S.A. back in 1955). As a former line mechanic (yes ol' Country did that too, before being promoted to Warrantee Manager) we did that to aid in lubricating the pulley as the heat expanded it...it slid on the shaft easier! :wink:

My warrantee office in 1964 & 65 was "piled high" with Volkswagen clutches and pressure plates. The 1300 cc and 1400 cc engines back then were notorious for warping clutches and the pressure plates were poorly sprung! :oops:

Needless to say...going back to college was a REAL SMART idea after my stint with the Havel brothers! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Thu May 25, 2006 10:52 am

Rudi,

I like the toaster oven idea also. I garage sale on the way to and from morning errands that can only be done Saturday morning just shortly after the garage sales open. I also see toaster ovens. There small wouldn't take up much room in the shop. I haven't ever paid any attention to what temperature they could reach.

Country,

I think I still have a sachs clutch plate for a 1300 still in the box somewhere. Figure I should throw it out on epay and get rid of it to someone who could use it.
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

Return to “Farmall Cub”