This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

compression problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

compression problem

Postby Mac from NS » Tue May 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Well today I lost compression in #2 and #3 cylinders. I’m guessing a head gasket. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 23, 2006 8:47 pm

Sounds reasonable.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Wed May 24, 2006 5:08 am

Thanks for the reply Bigdog. Have you replaced one lately, just thinking about the cost?

Mac

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed May 24, 2006 8:29 am

I bought a stack of them from Weber's Tractor Supply (NOSIH). I got a good deal on on them that way. I'd guess you should be able to get one for $15 - $25 at a dealer. Call Ken at Carter & Gruenewald.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Wed May 24, 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks, I thought maybe more than that. I guess i'm going to change
the front seal too. I been waiting for the right time and this is it.
Have a good one.

Mac

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Wed May 24, 2006 6:49 pm

:idea: I doubt that the head gasket went bad. I often find that a cub engine that looses compression suddenly is a result of alot of carbon build up on the cylinder head and piston. It comes loose and gets lodged in the valve seats causing a low compression. I would sudjest taking the head off and doing a valve job. You will have to replace the head gasket too..
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Wed May 24, 2006 7:59 pm

I kinda suspect the valves also, even if it is the head gasket it wouldn't hurt to give the valves a once over and maybe lap em while you are there.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu May 25, 2006 4:45 am

Hey MAC...If I were you...BEFORE I removed the cylinder head...I'd try adding a couple of ounces of SEAFOAM straight into the affected pistons...let it sit overnight and then start her up!

Seafoam dissolves carbon deposits and it may help you, prior to having to do a valve job :?: :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Thu May 25, 2006 10:05 am

I've seen a few posts about using Seafoam and how good it is. Exactly how do you use that stuff? Mix it with the gas? Squirt it in the spark plug hole :?: :?:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 25, 2006 10:22 am

Mac:

Give Jan Van Oostrom a call.. He is a really good IH dealer and is a Cub-a-holic himself and one of the participants at CubFest Northeast 2004. He supplied all the parts needed for the Governor rebuild workshop. Jan is pretty good to deal with and I can tell ya, the head gasket is not that expensive.. I got one for Ellie last fall.

Jan has a couple nice Cubs that were restored.. including a white demonstrator... :wink: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu May 25, 2006 10:03 pm

What is the chance that carbon is going to get under the valve on two differant cylinders at the same time.Maybe i'm missing something here. I think i'm going to put the air to the cylinder and see where it's going. It's the cheapest way to start,but I will try the seafoam before the head coming off. thanks everyone

Mac

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 25, 2006 11:08 pm

Good man Mac. I always have to remind my self KISS Keep it simple stupid. I don't always remember but when I do it helps. At my age senior moments come oftener than I want them too. Then again in Kindergarten I was voted least" likely to remember". With that in mind I always claim I will never get alheismers. I never could remember anyway.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu May 25, 2006 11:10 pm

About the only common thing that would cause simultaneous compression loss in two adjacent cylinders would be the head gasket. You could have cracked the head, lost cam lobes, knocked holes in pistons - whole bunch of stuff. That's unusual let alone two adjacent cylinders

You could pull the valve cover and see if the valves are functioning properly. I would believe they are.

I assume you did a compression test.

Might as well. Minor overhaul.

Eugene

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri May 26, 2006 4:05 am

Hey Joey...SEAFOAM was developed by engineers for use in marine engines to remove carbon deposits and help clean valves in engines using oil and gas mixtures. Many of us on the board have had a lot of success using SEAFOAM in tractor engines, lawn mower engines, etc.

You can mix it in with the gasoline...you can use it straight into the top of cylinders...clean and soak carburetors in it...you can spray it on valves...valve springs and guides. Anywhere that carbon can come into contact with internal engine parts...SEAFOAM REALLY WORKS. :D

I've used it in ALL my gas engines for years with GREAT results :!: :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

wrt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wrt » Fri May 26, 2006 4:05 am

I too am having compression issues, was running when i backed in the garage after plowing snow, hasn't run since. I checked compression, had about 25 - 30 lbs/cylinder, poured gas right in the holes, wouldn't fire. Pulled off head and found carbon that had been building since the valve job in 1973. Cleaned everything up and re-assembled with a new head gasket ($24) and will not fire except some minor popping through the carb. Average compression 80 lbs. I talked to the local IH mechanic who has rebuilt many cubs and told him the story which includes the fact that I didn't lap the valves - dumb move. He said he learned the lesson after regrinding and re-assembly the tractor would not start. He pulled the head back off and lapped the valves tractor ran. Does this make sense to you guys? I noticed when I took the valves out the springs are not very strong, I can compress them easily with my fingers. Is this a sign that I should replace them as well or are they just not very strong to begin with?