This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Basic fluids drain and fill

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hoof
10+ Years
10+ Years

Basic fluids drain and fill

Postby hoof » Tue May 23, 2006 1:10 am

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but what is the correct procedures for draining and refilling the hydraulic fluid, and anti-freeze? I have the generic farmall shop manual and it is less than helpful!
Thanks,
CHAZ

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue May 23, 2006 6:31 am

:P Hi Chaz

Their is a drain plug for the radiator on the casting under the radiator but it is usually seized up. You can pull the lower water neck off the block and take off the lower radiator hoose that way you can run a hose in there and flush it out better. When you re fill it it must be premixed before it is put in the tractor or it will over heat :!: The same when topping off the radiator with fluid.

I flushed my trans with kerosene this year. I did not think I needed it but it made a big difference in making the trans quieter on mine at least. I would also pull off the shifter plate as under it are holes just under it at the front and back that feed oil to the bearings which were full of gunk and metal shavings on mine. I used a can of carb clean and ran it down there with the spray tube on it.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue May 23, 2006 7:39 am

The new manuals from IH are a worthwhile investment, less than $100 for all 3 and well worth the cost.

The steering and final drives would be a good idea too while you are at it.

Trans and steering gear both have 3 plugs... fill, level, and drain. Check the fill plug first to see if they have extra (often water) and then open the drains. Steering takes gear oil and trans and final can use either Hy Tran or gear oil.

Try a search for tons of info on these.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Buzzard,

Postby countershaft » Tue May 23, 2006 8:49 am

do you know the "new" IH manuals # designations ? and their titles ?
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Tue May 23, 2006 9:24 am

Cowboy wrote:I would also pull off the shifter plate as under it are holes just under it at the front and back that feed oil to the bearings which were full of gunk and metal shavings on mine. I used a can of carb clean and ran it down there with the spray tube on it.

great tip, thanks Cowboy!
Chad
'54 Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 23, 2006 1:46 pm

Chaz:

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but what is the correct procedures for draining and refilling the hydraulic fluid, and anti-freeze? I have the generic farmall shop manual and it is less than helpful!

The GSS-1411 Service Manual for Cubs and Lo-boy Tractors was written for IH Service Technicians of whom many had been techs for years, or had been on various courses that made the assumptions of basic knowlegde workable. Unfortunately for many of us - ME included, theses assumptions can prove irritating at times.

That is why it is recommended in the Welcome Wagon Text - that you buy all 3 of the basic manuals. Between the 3 of them, these procedures become clearer than mud for those of us who are not mechanics - professional, shade-tree or other forms thereof :arrow: :roll: :lol:

The Owner's Manual will have the correct procedures for both the Touch Control and the Cooling System.

For more information on both systems there are also the GSS-1016 Cooling System and the GSS-1024 Touch Control for more in-depth information.

Hope this helps..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”