This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Finally Got Her Home

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Uncle Ran
10+ Years
10+ Years

Finally Got Her Home

Postby Uncle Ran » Sun May 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Gas : $ 250.00
Amount of sleep in two days during a Cannonball Run to Tennessee and back: 30 minutes
Cleaning supplies: $ 5.00
Getting home safely with a new Cub: Priceless.............

Here are pictures before I cleaned her up and after.

The previous owner has pasted away, but seem to think that the Cub had a stuck valve. The motor turns over freely with the hand crank (new battery tomorrow) and shows no spark from the magneto plug wire.

Any step by step suggestions for getting her running ?

Thanks,
Randy
The miles of my journey have proven my Lord true............

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun May 21, 2006 11:10 pm

The Cub cleaned up rather nicely. Congrats.

Suggest pulling the spark plugs. Put a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder. Have someone crank engine while you plug each spark plug hole with a finger. You are looking for compression and/or lack of compression. This will tell you which cylinder has a stuck valve.

Magneto. Magman. He advertises on this board.

Me, I would disassemble the magneto and attempt to repair.

Eugene

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon May 22, 2006 4:53 am

Hey Randy...Howd'ya sneak that prudy little Cub outta Tennessee without me hearin' about it till NOW :?: :shock: She cleaned up NICER than MOST o' the WOMEN I used ta date (years ago when I was still single of course) :wink:

Here's a tip on freein' up your stuck valves: http://www.kanolabs.com and order up a gallon jug of KROIL (Made right here, where your Cub came from, in the GREAT State of Tennessee...NASHVILLE). NEXT...remove the old plugs and pour about 2 oz. into EACH cylinder. Let it stand overnight so it seeps down into the rings. NEXT...Buy a set of Champion D21 spark plugs and install them. NEXT...Check and clean your distributor points, and set them when No. 1 cylinder is in the TOP-DEAD-CENTER position (all the way UP into the cylinder) and the pointer(bottom left side of radiator housing) lines up with the notch in the engine crankshaft flywheel.

Once your timing is set and correct...you should get spark to your plugs and your Cub should start.(be sure to use FRESH gas too). When it does...You're gonna see a LOT OF SMOKE from the KROIL burning off (that'll clear up in a few minutes of runnin') :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 22, 2006 8:51 am

Looks like a nice fine mesh grille screen too!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Re: Finally Got Her Home

Postby Hengy » Mon May 22, 2006 9:38 am

Uncle Ran wrote:Here are pictures before I cleaned her up and after.

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:

You mean to tell me that she shined up like that with just STANDARD CLEANING SUPPLIES :!: :!: :!:

That is an AWESOME Cub find!!!!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Psycho
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Psycho » Mon May 22, 2006 9:40 am

She cleaned up real good!!! Wish mine would clean up like that :cry: :roll: :lol: .
"If at first it doesn't move, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
1948 Cub, 1957 Cub

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Mon May 22, 2006 9:51 am

Glad to hear your trip went so well. Here is a quick tip for you: kerosene. Use it to flush out everything, tranny, engine, radiator, steering box, etc. Good luck!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon May 22, 2006 10:35 am

Tremendous! It is nice to see some pristine, "shelter finds" are still out there!

On the mag, try taking off the cap/rotor, and rub a crisp dollar bill between the points. A lot of times crud will build up between the points if it sets long and kill your spark. I have even resorted to one of those hand out nail files politicians hand out during election seasons. That's hard on points in reality, but it can be enough to get you going.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Uncle Ran
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Uncle Ran » Mon May 22, 2006 11:53 am

Hey Guys,

The tractor cleaned up well, but the Cub decals faded during the wash and some of the service decals took a beating :( . I was really pleased with the condition once a got the dust and dirt removed, but the tractor has been in the family of a good friend for over 30 years so I was pretty sure of what I was getting into. It was used to farm tobacco at times over the years, but mostly it was just for the enjoyment of my friend's Dad. He pasted away last August and the Cub had went down a little due to poor health. I sure did miss seeing him around his farm and tractors. He really loved those things...............

I picked up a battery this morning since I was running late already because I'm still tried from the trip. The valves are soaking today and I'm going to tinker with it this afternoon. Keep the suggestions coming :D.

Randy

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue May 23, 2006 4:37 am

Hey Randy...The suggestion I gave you (about pouring 2 oz. of KROIL in each cylinder) was for stuck PISTON RINGS...NOT A STUCK VALVE. However it will NOT HURT your Cub in any way to have done it. (SORRY, my early morning reply didn't quite catch up with my thinking).

For a STUCK VALVE you can remove the VALVE COVER (just below the exhaust manifold) and spray a liberal amount of KROIL onto the valve springs and guides. You can ALSO ADD KROIL to your OIL (about 6 to 8 oz. and it will unstick the valves after you run it several times. AND, it will help KEEP them unstuck on a regular basis.

Hope this HELPS you out :?:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Uncle Ran
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Uncle Ran » Tue May 23, 2006 9:03 am

Thanks Elliott.

I'm still getting the basics covered with opening fuel lines, cleaning the carb, checking the points, etc. I plan to pull the cover tonight and address the valve situation so wish me luck.

I had seen your Loudon location profile and thought about that when I pulled the Cub across the dam last Saturday. The Cub came out of Wears Valley.

Thanks again.
Randy

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Tue May 23, 2006 9:13 am

WOW :shock: :shock: :

That is a SWEET ride :!: :!:

I could never find one that well disguised :roll:
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 23, 2006 1:56 pm

Randy:

Wow! Image what a beautiful Cub :!: 8) :shock: 8) :D

Any step by step suggestions for getting her running ?

And Image to all of the above tips.

I keep going back to some of my favourite musings from an old friend of both the ATIS and the FarmallCub.com forums. The Best of H. L. Chauvin's Messages are real helpful when trying to figure out what isn't doing what it is supposed to do, be it the Cub or Cubber :!: :idea: :roll: :arrow: :shock: :lol: 8) :D 8) :D :!: His words of wisdom have helped many a Novice Cub Owner understand what makes em tick.

Aside from that, I would recommend that you sit down with a good cup of coffee, Henry, and the 3 Cub Bibles and go from there. Trust me - it is all there, it is just a matter of seeing it...and then applying it to your specific situation.

Hope this helps..

And again.. Image Congrats Image on getting such a pretty Cub :!: :!: :D 8) :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship