This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Overheating?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hoof
10+ Years
10+ Years

Overheating?

Postby hoof » Sat May 20, 2006 11:36 am

I mowed with the new cub for the first time today and it really blew a lot of steam out of the overflow. I only mowed about a half hour and it steamed the whole time. I finally quit when it started to steam a little around the cap. When I shut her down it really steamed for about a minute. Is this normal? If not what do i do next?
Thanks,
CHAZ

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

nope, steam is not normal. if they are overful they will push excess coolant out overflow until it gets about 1 1/4 inch or so below filler neck. first check for trash in radiator fins blocking airflow, then check timing and carb adjsutments. if still a problem, do compression check to see if you have a bad head gasket etc. finally a last resort take radiator to shop to be flushed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat May 20, 2006 12:49 pm

Not normal.

I would remove the water manifold on the bottom right side of the block. I would flush the block, radiator and radiator base (from the top).

Then I would back flush everything (from the bottom). Do this two or three times until no more crap flushed out.

Next a cleaning with washing soda.

Also, check to see that the radiator fins are clean and not bent up.

Eugene

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 20, 2006 5:22 pm

I hate to be a spoil sport but had you checked it for water before you started????????????/

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

hoof
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hoof » Sun May 21, 2006 12:17 pm

It was full when I started, thought maybe it just had to blow off a little extra until it got to the right level, but that wasn't it!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun May 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I always look for the simplist cheapest thing first. Well if it was full to start with the other posts will be good places to start from.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Mon May 22, 2006 11:35 am

I like your idea of checking simple things first.................. I had a similar problem. What I found was that the fins on the radiator were fouled with old grass and dust.

Try blowing shots of compressed air from the fan side of the radiator (tractor not running of course). You may be surprised what all blows out. This solved my overheating problem, amybe it will solve yours.

Bill

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Fan shroud?

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Mon May 22, 2006 5:15 pm

Is yours still on the tractor?

Return to “Farmall Cub”