This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Mod Phase 2

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering Mod Phase 2

Postby WKPoor » Fri May 19, 2006 9:45 pm

Well Phase 2 is complete.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 20, 2006 4:54 am

Man that Earl is good.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat May 20, 2006 6:06 am

WOW. You can tell Earl wasn't making paper airplanes when he was in school :D, unless he created the long flying jet version with a landing gear :shock: . Can't wait to see this project all painted up. I may have to switch axels on the backhoe cub so I can buy one of these kits in time for Cubfest. Great job!
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Sun May 21, 2006 2:08 pm

WK, I hope you have thought about protecting your idea and finished product; would hate to see this steering mod sold by some thief as a package deal on Ebay. you may even want to think about copywriting your photos.

now, when is the production line supposed to be up and running? we could keep you very busy! please let us know how much the entire system would cost, I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind parting with the cash to have a better steering system.
Chad
'54 Cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun May 21, 2006 2:51 pm

Stan's Cub wrote:WK, I hope you have thought about protecting your idea and finished product; would hate to see this steering mod sold by some thief as a package deal on Ebay. you may even want to think about copywriting your photos.

now, when is the production line supposed to be up and running? we could keep you very busy! please let us know how much the entire system would cost, I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind parting with the cash to have a better steering system.

Stan,

I just thought this would be a good place to pass on this thought... Bill doesn't profit from the items that he brings to this forum. Earl profits very little as well, but he is able to keep his shop open. They are making parts to help the rest of us without any cash flow to pay for the legal stuff. If someone else can use the ideas to turn a profit by stealing and produce the same quality, I'm sure Bill and Earl would be delighted. I don't think they can.

I've made a few parts myself to help other Cub fans, but never got minimum wage for my efforts. I never expected to. This is more a matter of helping others.

Billyandmillie is doing the same thing. True hobbies are not intended to be profit centers.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Sun May 21, 2006 3:47 pm

George Willer wrote: True hobbies are not intended to be profit centers.

I understand, just hate to see someone else profit from another's hard work. I'm in an age bracket where I worry about cash flow almost constantly, so that's just my mind set at this point. wish I had had the foresight to embark upon a sensible career 20 years ago, then I could be looking forward to NOT worrying about $$. I know, 38 isn't old, and it's never too late to start, just don't know what I want to be "when I grow up"...
Chad

'54 Cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun May 21, 2006 4:39 pm

Chad,

You're more than a decade younger than my youngest offspring, but it isn't too soon to prepare for your future. Maybe you'll be able to do what I couldn't... protect yourself from the ravages of the tax man. As a self employed person without a salary or wages, I wasn't able to take advantage of the 401K or other tax breaks. I was prudent and saved what I could. The savings are all that's between us and the poorhouse, since our only income is reduced SS. The problem is that there's no provision to account for inflation, and we have to withdraw from savings to pay our tax bills. If you can figure out a way to avoid that... you'll be far ahead. Our $1.00 invested 40 years ago is worth less than $.20 but we have to pay taxes that are only imposed on the "rich". One avenue to explore... sneak over our southern border and come back illegally! :(
George Willer

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Sun May 21, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm already 50% Hispanic, but appearently that isn't enough. certainly didn't help with the State Police exams, even after scoring a 90 on the test. it's very competitive, you need a 98 or better to really stand a chance. my wife makes decent $$ but she is intent on me also getting a decent job, go figure!
Chad

'54 Cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun May 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Stan's Cub wrote:I'm already 50% Hispanic, but appearently that isn't enough. certainly didn't help with the State Police exams, even after scoring a 90 on the test. it's very competitive, you need a 98 or better to really stand a chance. my wife makes decent $$ but she is intent on me also getting a decent job, go figure!

Best of luck to you and your wife, Chad. Stick to it and you'll secceed. My grandson tried repeatedly for the Ohio State Patrol, but he couldn't gain enough weight to pass the physical. Go figure, as well!
George Willer

Tom Evans
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49032

Postby Tom Evans » Sun May 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Very nice solid looking setup. I noticed the outward angle of the steering arms, is that to allow for width adjustments of the front end, or do the tie rods adjust as well?

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun May 21, 2006 9:30 pm

Tom, The angle is the same as the original arms and the tie rods adjust the same also. The inner rod is exactly the same and the rod end has the same 1/2" 20tpi thread as the original ends. The system can be used with just the inboard configuration or complete as shown. Plenty of versatilty for whatever someone desires.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Mon May 22, 2006 8:44 pm

I know that (maybe) this is the wrong place to post this, but since it was mentioned I have to write a little about this subject:

George wrote:

Maybe you'll be able to do what I couldn't... protect yourself from the ravages of the tax man. As a self employed person without a salary or wages, I wasn't able to take advantage of the 401K or other tax breaks. I was prudent and saved what I could. The savings are all that's between us and the poorhouse, since our only income is reduced SS. The problem is that there's no provision to account for inflation, and we have to withdraw from savings to pay our tax bills. If you can figure out a way to avoid that... you'll be far ahead. Our $1.00 invested 40 years ago is worth less than $.20 but we have to pay taxes that are only imposed on the "rich". One avenue to explore... sneak over our southern border and come back illegally!

This is something that really scares the @. #! #% out of me! I’m trying to “protect myself from the ravages of the tax man” with a 401K and other tax breaks, but I need a little to take care of my family also. I am prudent and saving what I can and hopefully when retirement comes that will pay off. What really scares me is that there's no provision to account for inflation; when $1.00 invested 40 years ago is worth less than $.20 and you are paying taxes that are only imposed on the "rich".

How does everybody deal with the root of the evil of inflation? Especially now!!!

George wrote:
The savings are all that's between us and the poorhouse, since our only income is reduced SS.

I think the Government doesn’t want anyone to retire so they don’t have to give out Social Security. Just keep working until you fall over.

It is really a disgrace when someone has worked hard for retirement “that did it the right way” can’t relax, enjoy life and live comfortably without worrying about how to pay the bills.

God knows our beloved Government helps those pay their financial tribulations when they “don’t do it the right way”.

I like to write a lot more, but I’m tired, I have to go to bed, get up at 4:00 AM, go to work so I can support my family,pay the bills and the tax man :x

Maybe I’ll try to “sneak over our southern border and come back illegally”!

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue May 23, 2006 2:01 am

Nice work Bill and Earl!!!!

If you are able to cover your costs, and make a few cents for your time, and pay your electric bill, then you are doing about as well as anyone in this screwed up economy right now.

I've been losing money in my business since 3rd quarter of last year. Things were close to turning around for me, but then the increase in gas prices punched people's "disposable income" right in the gut.

As far as the morality or the politics of the rest of it, I think a person should be able to profit where he can. If someone doesn't think profit and hobby go together, then they don't need to buy that particular product or service. What you guys do is terrific, and ultimately admirable, but some people need to see some sort of income from their work, or else they need to quit, and seek a second job. That would be of benefit to none of us.

The only people who bother me with excessive profitability are those who photocopy manuals, and resell them on Ebay for ridiculous sums. The people who encode copies on CD-Rom are almost as bad. I wonder how many of them have actually paid full price for their Adobe acrobat software, and how many are running "pirated" versions from Singapore.

You guys, and those like you, do us all a great service, and I am in awe of your engineering and craftsmanship skills.

Kudos once again...

Tom

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue May 23, 2006 2:35 am

Jack,

Traditionally, when inflation started to get out of hand, the Federal Reserve would jack up interest rates to help protect people's investments. When the prime rate rose, other investments would raise their payoffs accross the board, respectively, as a rule.

One of my uncles made his money during the period in the 1980's when interest rates on preferred CD's were as high as 15%. This not only outpaced inflation, but allowed him to increase his capital as well. He locked in some $300,000, and came out of it all with a little less than $1 Million. Of course, this was the same man who was too cheap to fix the faucets in the house, and had to tap water in buckets out of the basement to take a bath, do dishes, or flush the toilets.

The current philosophy, however, is to keep interest rates low, to foster "economic growth"....which, as I have mentioned in previous posts is an unknown quantifier in a nation whose trade deficit outpaces its GDP.....

It is like a situation I was in many years ago, when my camera stores were approaching insolvency. Every day, my general expense account was overdrawn by $10,000 - $15,000 The daily take in all 3 stores was enough to keep the checks from bouncing, as long as deposits were made on a daily basis. The term for this is "living off the float". My partners resigned me to this knowledge alone, never wanting to hear of it, and kept writing checks............. I became the keeper of the "paranthetic".... This, ultimately, along with dealing with nasty customers, drove me to a near-nervous breakdown in 1990.

We, as a national economy are doing the same thing. We are living off the cash flow. It is the cash flow that allows us our standard of living, per se. Even though our personal wealth has to be decreasing if we continue to have a trade deficit. That is simple math.

Raising interest rates substantially would protect our investments, encourage people to save, and discourage borrowing....all things that ring the "healthy" bell in my mind......the only problem with that, is it would cause this phantom "economic growth" to grind to a halt. The cash flow would slow, and we would be aware of just how bad things really are, as the bottom would fall out of our standard of living. The first warning sign would be Wal-Marts closing by the score. We would have to stop buying so many things from China, and actually hang on to our posessions a little longer than we have been doing. (Heaven forbid if my girlfriend would have to keep a cellphone for more than 6 months).

In the meantime, might I suggest "energy mutual funds" a few of which have a 20 year history of paying more than 15% on average. That's about as good as you can do at the present time, regarding protecting your wealth. Some of them can be structured as 401K's etc.

Just a suggestion, as I feel energy will be the most valuable commodity for the rest of my lifetime, and probably the rest of yours as well.

That's my take on it for now, Jack......sorry I can't be more optimistic.

--Tom

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue May 23, 2006 5:11 am

Hey Earl...GREAT JOB (If ya keep this up...you'll be next in line for the MASTER FABRICATOR AWARD...behind George Willer & Rick Prentice of course) :wink:

As for the current economy, and surviving it and inflation...I know what me (and MOST of my retired friends) are doing...WE'RE ALL GOING BACK TO WORK (some, like your's truely FULLTIME) :shock:

With rising prices...reduced (or elinimated) healthcare benefits...wasteful politicians (both parties are responsible)...a dwindling return on your investments (thanks to poor business management)...a current retiree has little choice but to return to work just to keep up :!: :!: :!:

If I had a "magic wand" and could make a few changes these would be my first choices:

Political Term Limits: No CAREERS for ANY politician...ANYWHERE.

No Lawyers: If you're a LAWYER...You CAN'T RUN for political office.

Line Item Vetos...AND USE THEM!

Single-issue Bills...No piling on pork barrel projects as part of an "Emergency Katrina Relief Bill"

NO FEMA...NO HUD...NO IRS...Everyone PAYS a FLAT TAX, based solely upon their GROSS INCOME.

CEO's who abuse their powers WALK THE PLANK from the TOP of their office buildings!

Just a FEW ideas for starters guys! :wink:

Just a FEW for starters
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall Cub”