Fuel Strainer problem

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fuel Strainer problem

Postby Kirk » Fri May 19, 2006 2:49 am

To All,
I brought home a '50 Cub the other day that ran....but rough. So I replaced the plugs, plug wires, dist cap, cond, rotor, and points. Runs sweet now. :D

But, the fuel strainer was nasty. Lots of gunk in the sediment bowl, in the screen etc. So I took it off, cleaned it up real good and put it back on. Leaked bad :evil: :evil: .

So I bought a new one at TSC. After installing the new one I opened the valve to allow the gas from the tank to fill the sediment bowl. But I noticed it only flowed a t "fast drip".....it didn't flow readily. I played with it a bit and got it to flow a little better, but was sceptical.

So I fired the cub up and it started fine and ran perfectly for 6-7 seconds and then died. I waited about 5 seconds and it fired right up again.....and died after running 5-6 seconds. I did this a dozen times and I know it's running out of fuel because the strainers not keeping up with the carb. My question is why??? The screen and gasket are not blocking anything.

I did think it strang though that after playing with the open/close valve on the strainer that I was able to get more fuel. Do you suppose that I just have a defective strainer or is the mechanic that needs replacing :oops:

Thanks for your help guys
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 19, 2006 7:06 am

Make sure there isn't junk floating around in your gas tank.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri May 19, 2006 7:13 am

I know George will disagree with me :oops: but watch out thet the pipe between the tank and the carb does not go above the horizontal and drop down again. This can cause a small bubble of air to slow the flow of fuel to the carb. Known as an airlock
Hope you find it, Pat
PS Also try the float valve that it is not sticking and failing to totally open.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri May 19, 2006 7:13 am

George I daid say "can" :lol:

crowman2
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby crowman2 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:16 am

Kirk,

I had a simular problem with the second cub I just got, took the sediment bowl assembly off the tank, and found to large pieces of red plastic flash stuck inside the neck to the sediment bowl from the inside of a plastic gas can! I removed them and everything is good.

Marc

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri May 19, 2006 7:20 am

Make sure there is no blockage at the opening of the tank.

Also, try loosening the nut on the bail and allowing the fuel to flow out. Air can get trapped in the glass bowl creating a air lock situation. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Fri May 19, 2006 7:31 am

Maybe I missed it, or you just didn't mention whether you've cleaned up the carb too. I had this same type of problem over the winter, and it was blockages in the carb body, not the strainer, causing the problem. I suppose it could be in the fuel line too, though mine was clean. I wouldn't say my strainer runs at much more than a fast drip when the tank is low. And I doubt the Cub uses much more fuel than that anyway. Good luck!

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Fri May 19, 2006 7:47 am

Well, I have a lot more things to check out from your thoughtful responses. I'll work on it some more today and give you the results later.

Thx a bunch!!
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Dennis B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dennis B » Fri May 19, 2006 8:19 am

See if it runs without the gas cap. The cap is vented and if it is blocked from dirt ect. the tank has air locked. Gravity feeds the gas to the carb so as the gas goes out air needs to come in.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 19, 2006 9:58 am

If the flow into the strainer bowl is slow, the problem has to be from there UP, not downstream.

Bus Driver
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bus Driver » Sat May 20, 2006 12:15 pm

I tend to disagree with the idea of an airlock in the Cub fuel system. If the needle valve in the carburetor is open, air will go through it as easily as will gasoline. The carburetor float bowl is (absolutely must be) vented to the atmosphere, so the air will escape the bowl. If the needle valve is closed, either the carburetor bowl is full of some liquid or the needle is stuck. I suspect that in this instance the fuel is not flowing into the sediment bowl at the proper rate.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 20, 2006 2:47 pm

BD - I believe what Dennis is describing is more of a vacuum than an airlock. He is saying that if air can't get into the tank, fuel won't flow.

BD
Bigdog

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat May 20, 2006 4:11 pm

Bus driver is right. An air bubble can't possibly cause a fuel flow problem in a system that doesn't have a fuel pump. Period! Neither can it have vapor lock.!!!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 20, 2006 6:08 pm

I agree, there cannot be an airlock or bubble but a plugged gas tank vent can cause a vacuum in the tank that will prevent or impede fuel flow.
Bigdog

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat May 20, 2006 7:20 pm

If you have goop in the fuel strainer, then it's also in the rest of the fuel system - tank, fuel line and carburetor. A little goop goes a long way.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow