189 plow latch lever attachment position

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

189 plow latch lever attachment position

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu May 18, 2006 10:39 pm

While looking at a cub with the 189 plows on ebay, it occurs to me that my latch levers on my 189 plow don't attach in the same place as the ones in the ebay photos. My coulters seem to attach at that point instead. The sketches in the manual aren't clear enough to be definitive. At least for my eyes.

Anyone have decent photos of the sides of the beams of a working 189 setup that they could post for me?

Thank you kindly.....

--Tom

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri May 19, 2006 7:27 am

not sure if I have quite understood your question Tom but on most ploughs the disk coulter runs something like 1 1/2 inches behind the plough point 1/2 inch above the point and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the land side of the point, can you adjust your disk an such a position.
The height would vary if you were working deep or on hard ground. The boss of the disk should never touch the soil, it will hold the plough from full penetration in almost any soil, but on hard ground disk too low will also prevent penetration.
Have I translated your question right?
Pat

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 19, 2006 8:01 am

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri May 19, 2006 9:17 am

Ah :? I see what you are getting at Tom, thanks to John*µ*µ^¨¨'s link, it is the, whazt we in UK call, the skim coulters that you ask about,

OKOkOk
See you soon
Pat

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun May 21, 2006 4:43 pm

Well,

Those photos don't quite answer my question, because I don't think that setup would go out and work as it stands. It's set up about like mine, except I don't have the jointers on mine.

You can see from the photo from that link, John, pasted here (thank you TM), that the coulter brackets are touching as well. This is one of the problems that ScottyD and I keep having with them. The coulters hang up on each other, when you raise the lowered plow, unless all conditions are perfect (like the moon being in perfect alignment, no wind, and a group of sparrows circling your cub singing songs from Snow White.)

But it does help me with one problem, as I don't think my latch levers are attached in the proper position, but are installed through another hole in the beam.