This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Yet another clutch adjustment question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Yet another clutch adjustment question

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon May 15, 2006 12:36 pm

Maybe it's adjustment. Maybe I need to split the old beastie...

Anyway, when I first start up my latest acquisition, the '66 loboy, I have a heck of a time getting the transmission to stop so I can put it in gear. Once it warms up, it gets better, but the transmission still freewheels way too long for my taste.

Clutch pedal has too much free play, but there's no adjustment left...

Ideas?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 15, 2006 12:42 pm

Go to the How to section of this site. There is a discussion on adjusting the clutch fingers.

My suggestion is to see if there is any adjustment left on the clutch fingers. If none or very little adjustment, it's time to replace the disk and throwout bearing.

Eugene

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon May 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Thanks Eugene, and you too Rudi for posting that How-To.

There's not much adjustment left, but I did make the adjustment of 1/2 turn clockwise on each finger. Probably need a new clutch in the next couple of years.

1/2 turn was probably too much, as there was a bit of a grinding noise when I pushed the pedal all the way down. But rather than re-adjust the fingers, I made a slight adjustment to the free play on the clutch pedal, and now it shifts smooth as silk.

Man what a royal pain in the kiester adjusting those fingers was... On a Lo-boy, with the mower deck on, sore back, 6'1" and 280lbs, and flopping around a fish out of water trying to work overhead while laying on my back... Ye gods, but I got 'er done.