This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I guess this means I get to take the head off???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

I guess this means I get to take the head off???

Postby Lance Leitzel » Mon May 08, 2006 11:33 am

Hi everybody - I need some advice. In the last week or so I think I've been in denial. I have noticed a few puffs of smoke comming from my underslung exhaust. I think it is white/gray. I ran the tractor a little bit this morning with my face near the exhaust (yeah, real smart I know) trying to catch the smell of it. Other than it makes my eyes water like mad, I can't really place the smell. I do suspect there is a little oil being burned. I have noticed the coolant level is a bit lower than it was before, but nothing seriously low. It still covers the tubes in the radiator.

Here's what I tried. I added water to the bottom of the neck of the radiator and pinched off the overflow pipe. With the tractor running at idle, the level is pretty smooth, as I rev it up I did notice a lot more disturbance in the surface of the water. I never did see any bubbles in the coolant. But if I drop the level of the coolant to just below the filler neck, the coolant is flat as glass at any speed of the engine.

The oil never looks milky, so I guess I'm not getting coolant down to the oil pan.

So, my question is there anything else I should try to test before just giving in and pulling the head? Thanks - Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 08, 2006 11:41 am

Lance - I wouldn't rush to start pulling the head. If you're not seeing evidence of water in the oil, you may only be dealing with the cooling system setting it's own level.
What I would do is continue to run the tractor and monitor the coolant level. If the level continues to drop then investigate. Otherwise run the tractor hard enough to get it good and warm and give it time to boil off any condensation. You may not have a problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Mon May 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Thanks Bigdog! I'll keep an eye on the coolant level. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? To be honest, I'm in no great hurry to pull the head off this engine (and discover what Pandora might have in store for me).
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 09, 2006 7:10 am

Just to make up for disagreeing with BD in another thread, I'll agree with him here :D

The disturbance on the top of the water is the vibration from the engine. Ever see "Jurassic Park?"

Watch the oil level and the coolant level. If they don't go down or up, you don't have a problem.

If you're keeping your Cub outside in damp/humid weather, there will be condensation forming inside the crankcase, and the white puffs of smoke are just signs of it boiling off.

Occasional puffs of smoke are nothing to get worried over, anyway. They all do that. A steady stream of ghost-white smoke, on the other hand, is definitely something to look into. Grey smoke is oil, and depending on how much you get, may or may not be a problem.

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu May 11, 2006 8:26 am

Hi Matt,

I never thought of my Cub as a Dino before, but there's a first for everything. :D I do think you are right and I'm making a molehill into a mountain. In the end, I bet it will just be a little oil smoke I'm seeing.

Thanks for your help.

Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Thu May 11, 2006 9:04 am

it could be the underslung exhaust making condensation too. watch a car ahead of you that has just started up from cold. water will squirt, then dribble, and finally go away. it picks up carbon from the pipe and comes out as steam but looks like smoke. if it were mine i would use it until other symtoms turned up.
phantom

Return to “Farmall Cub”