This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

thread sealant

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmerted
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72120
Tractors Owned: '62 mc farmall cub

thread sealant

Postby farmerted » Sat May 06, 2006 12:20 pm

what kind of thread sealant do u use on threads inside of carb i read
lunkers carb page but it does not point to one that product that is
tried and proved any sugestions will be appreciated

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat May 06, 2006 2:40 pm

I didn't specify any particular sealant brand - brand availablity is inconsistant around the country and gasoline formulations change without warning. Some alcohols in various gasoline formulations aren't compatable with certain plastics and silicones. For example, the gasoline here in Maryland just changed the primary oxygenate additive from MBTE to ethanol so all bets are off if my current thread sealant won't melt.

Look for a sealant specifically stated on the package to be used with continuous contact in gasoline. Then test it yourself before sealing the threads in the carb. Any large auto parts store should carry a full line of sealants to choose from, read the labels to find the correct one.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat May 06, 2006 3:11 pm

What I have been using with success (So-Far) is _Master Plumber_ brand Yellow Gas Line Thread Seal Tape. I have had no leaks since I used it a year ago, BUT as Carl said with gas formulas changing yearly or less who knows what will eat the sealant down the road. :roll: :shock:
Then came Bronson