This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thread Repair

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thread Repair

Postby Stan's Cub » Tue May 02, 2006 4:06 pm

I need to repair the threads in one of the holes that hold the draw bar in the forward position. one of these holes: Image
I noticed there are helicoil kits available but I don't know which one to get. here's a site with kits

thanks
Chad
'54 Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue May 02, 2006 6:24 pm

The threads are 5/8-11. One of my tractors had bad threads at all the drawbar mounting holes. I measured carefully the layout of the 3 hole pattern and made a drill jig with "bushings" on each side of the jig so that it could be used at all 4 of the hole pattern locations on the final drives. Since it would be used only a few times, I used shaft collars for the bushings rather than coughing up big money for the hardened drill bushings. I carefully cleaned the bolt holes completely to the blind end of the holes and found enough good thread to use two bolts to hold the jig in place while I drilled the third. Then tap and install the insert. On to the next hole again using the jig bolted to the other two holes. It all turned out well.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Tue May 02, 2006 6:37 pm

thanks Bus Driver!
Chad

'54 Cub

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Tue May 02, 2006 6:39 pm

Chad

'54 Cub

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Fri May 05, 2006 7:40 am

turns out my old boss at the trucking company has multiple helicoil kits including the one I need. just had to purchase the 21/32 drill bit for $26. Cub's in the garage waiting for me, just have to get a cup of coffee in me. a word of caution, please avoid walking into your moldboard plow, that piece that rolls the sod over is just about mid-shin height. looks like I have two knees on one leg!
Chad

'54 Cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 05, 2006 7:52 am

OUCH!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri May 05, 2006 11:20 am

Stan's Cub wrote: a word of caution, please avoid walking into your moldboard plow, that piece that rolls the sod over is just about mid-shin height. looks like I have two knees on one leg!

I do feel your pain! Scotty is permantly my plowing Cub, and except for when he's working he wears a marker. This picture was taken last winter.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Fri May 05, 2006 12:44 pm

Ouch! That had to smart!

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 05, 2006 1:21 pm

George:

Excellent idea :!: :idea: :!:

We all take shortcuts thinking we will remember all the stuff that we need to remember including the dangerous stuff sticking out of our toolboxes, in the drawers, out of the trunk of the car and on the Cub. It is very painful to be reminded how much stuff we forget when all the rest of what we have to remember gets stuck into the mix.

This is brought home to me every time my shin makes contact with the hitch on the rear of my Grand Caravan. Talk about smart.... and I don't mean intelligence either... it hurts big time... and being a diabetic.. I don't heal so well, so I have these reminders on top of reminders for a long time. :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :? :cry:

I see that you have your trusty shop crane with the weight installation rig setup.... it amazes me the creativity that is in you..... I have to try to keep this in mind as we construct my new tractor house :!: :idea: :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Hitch halo

Postby allenlook » Fri May 05, 2006 8:07 pm

I'm famous for bashing my shin on the tow-ball sticking out the back of my truck, so I bought one of those "Hitch-Halo"s they have at Harbor Freight, and it's saved my shins countless times.

Plus, I have the fun of making up really funny responses to the dozen people who ask me "what's that thing on your pickup hitch?" every month. :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Fri May 05, 2006 8:54 pm

I don't dare leave the hitch in the receiver on the pickup just for that reason. I knew "exactly" where the plow was on the Cub, but didn't realize just how far that piece stuck out and I wasn't looking down 'cause I thought I was behind it, quickly learned I wasn't. no big deal, only banged it slightly today just when it wasn't bothering me, only hurts when I breathe. I did manage to get the helicoils in those implement bolt holes today. only was gonna do one but found two more that weren't 100% and figured I might as well since I had plenty of inserts. wasn't really difficult, just drilled in as far as possible without getting into final drive case and the inserts were just about the right length. hardest part was getting rid of that tang thingy. didn't have a punch or rod the right size so I had to grind down the smooth section of a 5/8 bolt until it was the right diameter to fit snuggly in helicoil. worked on one, the others didn't have enough space behind tang to snap it off so I resorted to a screwdriver. now all holes are in great shape. thanks for the help.
Chad

'54 Cub

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon May 08, 2006 6:20 am

The old hitch ball in the shin trick... I ended up replacing the whole hitch to get mine out. Pulled a bunch of stumps with the pin out and it didnt budge. Rust is a powerful thing! The hitch was a deal (10,000 #) but had to drill new 5/8" holes in the frame.... that was a nasty job. Now I can put whatever I want in the hitch.... including an extension, a pintel, and the cool rack I got with the camper.

Don't leave it in there, after 10 years it will stick.

I can see where the plow would be too easy to run into!

Guess I am lucky that the holes in the finals and on the tractor seem to be in good shape. I did buy a 5/8" tap to chase the holes once I get done painting. Then again, they were well lubed and most were in use!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 08, 2006 9:47 pm

Stan's Cub wrote: a word of caution, please avoid walking into your moldboard plow, that piece that rolls the sod over is just about mid-shin height. looks like I have two knees on one leg!
while at WRC I learned the smae lesson aobut raised front snow blades.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon May 08, 2006 10:40 pm

Yikes John that is a pointy one! Ouch!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”