This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pressure Plate Bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Pressure Plate Bolts

Postby Harold R » Tue May 02, 2006 6:59 am

I guess I'd need a picture to describe the problem, but I can't seem to get at the 6 bolts holding the pressure plate to the fly wheel. They are cupped around the sides so close with the metal of the plate that I can't get a wrench on them. I've got about 6 different 1/2 inch sockets, and none of them will fit down completely on the bolt. Same problem with the boxed end wrench. On a couple, I can get the open end on them, but they just round off. Not sure what's going on here. More coffee perhaps!! :roll:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue May 02, 2006 7:55 am

Hi Hr

I have not had to get into my clutch yet. But I take it that the socket is hitting somtning and not going all the way down. I have had that problem on other things and I have ground off the outside of a socket just enought to clear the obstruction before with good luck.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 02, 2006 8:02 am

I think Cowboy has the answer. If you have a sacraficial (spare) 1/2" socket you can grind down it should do the trick. Don't take off any more than necessary as you will need all the strength you can leave in the socket.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Tue May 02, 2006 8:20 am

I agree. That's what it's going to take. After reviewing with a rested set of eyes, I found that the P.O. didn't put lock washers under the bolts. :evil: :evil: This would have raised the bolt head off the plate and given more clearance. Off to the grinder I go. :(

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 02, 2006 8:21 am

HR, most auto parts stores also have thin wall sockets, for that problem. They are a close fit, but I've never had a serious problme taking them off.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue May 02, 2006 11:30 am

I have a complete set of cheap sockets that I've turned down for just such occasions. The bolts holding the final drives are another place they come in handy. Surprisingly, they machine well under the chrome.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”