This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CUB NOT FOR SALE

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
peyton
10+ Years
10+ Years

CUB NOT FOR SALE

Postby peyton » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:02 pm

LAST WEEK I WAS ON MY WAY TO A JOB SITE, AND LOOKING BEHIND A SHED THERE WAS A PAIR OF CUBS. AFTER WORK I STOPED BY TO SEE IF THEY WERE FOR SALE. TALKING WITH THE OLDER MAN, HE SAID THEY WERE NOT FOR SALE. TALKING WITH HIM A LITTLE LONGER HE SAID THEY WER SITING 15-18 YEARS. IF HE HAS NOT GOTTEN TO THEM BY NOW WHY WOULD HE NOT SELL THEM. THEY WILL SIT THERE AND ROT. THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE, I HOPE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TALK A GUY OUT OF A TRACTOR HE WILL NEVER EVEN USE?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:19 pm

Peyton, most of us have seen or dealt with the same situation. We share your frustration. Many times there are hidden ties such as the fact it was dad's or granddad's tractor etc. Sometimes it's just stubbornness or greed. Who is to say? If I am dealing with someone like that, I try to let them know that if they change their mind, I might be interested. But sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the tractor will just sit there and rot away. The only thing I can say is try not to get hung up on one - there are still lots of them out there.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:25 pm

I've posted on this before. Its just the way it is. Some people will not part with their stuff no matter what the circumstances and they don't care if it rots back to mother earth. They got it and it ain't going nowhere. We've got several examples of it around here where the owners will not part till the day they die. But of coarse its a free country and you are intitled to carry on as you please provided you don't break the law. My own experience has been if its not posted for sale there will be little chance. I don't think I've been able to purchase anything I've inquired about out of curiousity.

But hey!! my barns full of stuff I don't use, I just don't put that stuff out in plain view for everyone to see.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:42 pm

There are all kinds of reasons to keep some thing. I have a 1955 Dodge behind the house that the wife and I bought in 1960 when we got married. Well she passed away 2 years ago and there is no amount of money that could buy that car. I have had lots of people that wanted that car and they will just have to wait till I am gone because my kids have no attachment to the car.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 pm

Peyton, I've seen that a number of times, and don't have an answer other than the ones already given. By the smae token, i have a gibson modle D in my shed that belonged to my Granfather. i tis in pretty sad shape, and I may not get it going, but I do plan on it someday.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Peyton, my neighbor, had the demo i am currently working on. He has had since he bought off an IH salesman in 1970. I spotted it a couple of years ago and stopped and asked if he was willing to sell, NO. Well i made it a habit to stop every time i saw him outside working in his garden. Eventually i verfied that it was a demo, and then my desire went up! Then one day he told me all about the attachements he had for it, WOW. So i kept on stopping just to shoot the breeze. Well, the day finally came, i had a tractor he wanted, and he was ready to part with his tractor of 30 yrs. I think i made out okay.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... rade+worth
Anyway develop a relationship w/him and eventually things may work in your favor.

John

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:37 pm

Doc's advice is excellent in this case.

Friendly (not harassing) persistence can pay off. Talk to the guy, find out what he needs in his life. Sometimes, if you can provide that, it'll make a deal materialize.

I was on the opposite side of the fence on one of these situations, and someone's friendly persistence finally got to me.....LOL It was a tractor that wasn't really mine, but no one really wanted it either. So, the decision to get rid of it was pushed along by a fellow's offer of 100 new chimney block....a deal I couldn't refuse.....LOL

If you see him out working on something, stop by, offer a hand, and so forth, and I bet soon enough, you'll find a medium of exchange that'll make the deal. To some of us, money isn't really the heart of the matter...it's more about getting what you need.

--Tom

Western Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

NOT FOR SALE.

Postby Western Cub » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:42 pm

It has been my biggest peeve to deal with people who do what your talking about. It really drives me crazy. I find usually the people I run into with that attitude have a yard full of useless crap and garbage. I think some people are just like that. I tried to buy a cub off a guy who had one in the field next to his house. As I struggled my way over the rusted lawn mower engines and scrap metal; then past a pile of hair he had recently cut off his dog, I made it to the half broken door. I asked about it, "Oh no way, Im gonna restore that for my grandpa soon." he said. That was over three years ago and Im still watching it rot. Its just that mentality.
I have to say though that I bought both my cubs from people who didnt have them up for sale. I paid $500 for my second one and it ran and came with a pile of attachments! So dont give up, it does work out sometimes.
51 Super C, 44 H, 2 48 Cubs, and finally I now have a Super MD!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon May 01, 2006 9:36 am

Take a shot. If it works out and you get a good deal on a piece of equipment, great! Otherwise, move on. Life's too short.

People sometimes have an unrealistic idea of what things are worth, on both sides of the coin, both buyer and seller. In some of these cases, the tractor may be for sale for the right price, and that price might be agreeable to you, but the owner has been harassed by scrappers and tractor jockeys offering him little to nothing... He just rejects anyone walking up the driveway. "You're here to try and screw me out of my valuable tractor. I'd rather watch it rust into the ground than sell it for scrap value only to have you turn around and sell it for six times as much."

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 01, 2006 10:55 am

I had a friend like that. He gave me the Mott mower from his 58 Cub but the tractor not for sale. Frank is dead now. In the inbetween he gave it to one of his sons who gave it to his son. It is in a steel shed in a back yard in Staten Island and no easy way out since the new house next door. To remove it you will have to cut down some 40 foot pine trees and remove a chain link fence. Other than that it is take it out in pieces. Sad part is i even offerred to store it for him before the house next to him was built. Strange how things work out.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

peyton
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby peyton » Mon May 01, 2006 4:02 pm

thanks fellas. I'M NOT HUNG UP ON IT, BUT IT'S GUST ODD HOW ONE GUY WILL ALMOST GIVE IT A WAY AND THE NEXT GUY WILL NOT PART WITH IT FOR HOW MUCH MONEY. THE OLD MAN BOUGHT IN THE 50S AND BY LISTENING TO HIM TALK IT WAS HIS PRIDE AND JOY, TALKING WITH ALL SMILE. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT NOT WANTIG TO PART WITH THINGS. HOW I GOT STARTED WITH CUB, AFTER MY GRANDPA DIED HIS CUB WAS SOLD AT AN AUCTION. 5 YEARS LATER I RAN IN TO THE GUY THAT BOUGHT IT. HE PUT IT IN HIS GARAGE AND BARELY USED IT. HE MORE THAN WILLINLY SOLD IT TO ME KNOWING HOW IT WAS MY GRANDPAS. NOW I HAVE 4 TRACTORS IN THE GARAGE. THANK GUYS

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Mon May 01, 2006 4:19 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:Doc's advice is excellent in this case.
--Tom

What are you trying to tell me TOM :!: :evil: :twisted: :x :shock: :) :( 8) :? :o :cry: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Mon May 01, 2006 5:21 pm

I intend to go to my grave with a thousand projects waiting to be done. Completing projects is of only minor importance. Starting projects or planning projects is the only thing that really matters... :D I once kept the base of an old Wizard push mower for 21 years because I saw that it would make a great base for a work light. I even moved the silly thing with me twice. About 16 years ago I helped my son make a nice portable work light out of it as a 4-H project. We use it often and I get great satisfaction everytime we do. I don't mind being asked if something is for sale. Sometimes I even sell something. :D I do get pretty annoyed when someone approaches me with the attitude that I shouild sell them something just because I have't gotten to it yet. It is like they are telling me that my time is up and I shouldn't plan or dream of doing things on down the road. I have a small herd of tractors waiting restoration. Now and then I will put in an hour on one doing something to either advance its status or at least preserve its condition until I get to it. Sometimes it is nothing more than walking up to it with an oil can and hitting a bunch of spots that might need it. Still those are "my" tyractors and it is "my" choice as to how I might want to enjoy them even if it is nothing more than walking past it now and then. As to my not getting to them for years there is another factor... I have had some sitting for a number of years without getting to them but I simply did not have the time. Now I have more time as I am retiring a little farther. This year I rented out almost half of the farm so that I could spend that time on things that I want to do. The other half is mostly in hay which also requires less time since I do not have to till or plant each year and we are doing the bulk of it with a big round baler. Many of those projects that everybody saw when driving by and said that I would never do anything with will now get under way. I have planned this for several years and knew unless something went wrong that I "would" get to many of them. Those driving past know nothing of my plans. I am also going to spend a "LOT" of my time in my shop especially my wood shop. I have planned that a long time too but those driving past didn't know that either... :D Just another perspective. :wink:
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue May 02, 2006 4:05 am

Hey Peyton...Like my Dad (the Salesman) often told me: "The MORE NO's You Get...The CLOSER You Are To A YES!" :wink: He's been RIGHT on a WHOLE LOT OF OCCASIONS! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue May 02, 2006 11:47 am

Robinson,

I am something like you, I think...... Others see scrap metal, while I see possibilities.....My outbuildings are filled with "one of these days" projects, and you're right, it doesn't matter one little bit if I get to them before I'm gone or not.

I had an Uncle who was the same way. On the morning he passed away, we had a nice conversation about what he wanted to start working on again, just as soon as "these idiots let me out of here." He even gave my mom a hardware list..LOL He always had 100 projects going at the same time. Some of them, to an outsider, would have seemed a little "insane".....but I was not an outsider, so they made perfect sense to me....LOL

That's the way to do it. You have all my admiration.

Return to “Farmall Cub”