This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cubs and Disc Harrows

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 02, 2006 8:10 am

Rudi, looks like you've done a good job on solving your problem. i will second Tom's concer though aobut the hinge. I used large hinges for simislr operations, and they lasted for a while, but did fatigue pretty fast form the repeated side to side beating. A hardened bolt through the angle part of the tongue and a couple brakcets bolted to the drawbar may be needed to survive the abuse.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue May 02, 2006 8:45 am

Tom's safety concern is the reason people are cautioned against using a short chain as a substitute for a top link on 3 pt implements. While not a concern for a Cub disk the chain doesn't help with a back flip either.

Solid rods or bars in place of the chains could, in this case, help with the side sway problem as well.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 02, 2006 9:18 am

I need to go back to your comment about not wanting to cut up your lawn by using the disk as a pull type...

The angle of the disks can be changed from straight for transport, to a high angle for maximum disking action. With the disks straight, you won't cut up your lawn.

Really, that setup makes me VERY uncomfortable. Even lightened up, you have to be putting a tremendous amount of stress on the touch control.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:I need to go back to your comment about not wanting to cut up your lawn by using the disk as a pull type...

The angle of the disks can be changed from straight for transport, to a high angle for maximum disking action. With the disks straight, you won't cut up your lawn.

Really, that setup makes me VERY uncomfortable. Even lightened up, you have to be putting a tremendous amount of stress on the touch control.

I gotta second that. I don't consider the TC as much as the fact that even though it's a horsedrawn disk and therefore lighter, I am amazed the Cub can pull it. For sure, I doubt it will pull it fast enough to do a good job.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue May 02, 2006 11:27 am

In regards to the weight.....I don't see that as such a problem.......as Rudi mentioned, after they got rid of a lot of the extraneous nonsense, it was quite light, actually.

No matter how you run a disc over your lawn, it makes a mess, unless the soil is really compacted.

My advice, however, is merely that of an insect, and should be regarded as such.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Guys:

Some valid points here and I like a lot of em.

Hinge: Yes, problematic, but a good inexpensive solution for the interim until I can find a better fix. I wanted heavier, but Dad suggested this as a trial.. and I agreed. It was a 20 minute exercise.. and works well enough to keep trying out the harrow.

As an aside... was out with my brother-in-law today with the Manitowoc 27 ton crane and the float.... picked up 5 nice 35 foot telephone poles.. stock for my pole barn extension.

Whilst unloading.. I spied in my excess parts pile, what may be the solution to my quandry ... looks like the hookup similar to a Cub lift type disk harrow I think. So that may be the fix

Sway: George yes you are correct. The substitution of bar or angle iron stock would work better, but then the problem remains... I am limited to the amount of steel work that I am capable of performing by my current skill set and of course the types of tools that I have available to me in my shop. Suggestions with pics, sketches and simple do it this way steps would go a long way to teaching me, and I relish the possibility of learning from the masters.. yes, you guys are the masters and I am in awe of your knowledge...

Weight: Yes, correct again.. weight is a big concern, next to safety it is the most important. We have eliminated 90% of the extraneous weight that we can see. The only thing left that could be possibly removed is the former seat spring stock. This would probably remove another 10 lbs... or so.. but we felt we should keep it until we know more surely how the disc will perform in dry soil. Extra weigh may be needed.

And again I stress: Ellie lifted the disc almost effortlessly. Lifted it easier than she does with my snow plow blade.. which is a darn sight heavier.. no and I repeat no whining going on in the TC unit at all.. If you compare the before and after pics... then you can see how much has been removed. I would hazard about 60 lbs or so as a minimum.. the bucket full of parts is quite heavy.

Cutting the lawn: Matt.. been there. Last summer I played with the harrow hooked up as a pull behind and I can assure you that even with the discs in the transport position, the damage was significant.. and you should have seen the driveway. Em's Uncle has the smaller pull type discs for the Cub, and in the transport position it cuts up his lawn as well..

Thanks for the input guys, and I hope that there will be more... especially on fixed links to replace the chains...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 am

Hi Rudi

You were just talking of the weight of the disk. It is not so much the weight of the disk but the leaverage of it. What I noticed is the frame work of the disk. If it was changed you could get the disk gang 1/3 to 1/2 closer the the tractor. Without hitting the tractor when you lift. You could then add 1/3 of the weight back to the disk over the disk which would improve its working ability.

George my friend

Whoops just went back and rerread what you wrote. I was going to take issue to you as to the top link on a cub pulling a disk need some flex in the top link as it has down pressure and no float position.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon May 15, 2006 9:15 pm

Guys:

As was noted before.. this IS a Work In Progress... and mods will be needed.

1. worked with it today.. Ellie can lift and pull it with ease. Not bogging down, now burping, now boobling on the hydraulics -- nada -- just an easy lift..

2. Unfortunately, it still moves side to side -- and it has fetched up on the rear wheels twice tonight.

3. I need to stop that.. but, what ever the solution is, it has to be easy to make in a Woodworking Shop.. as I do not have a Metal shop.. at least not yet..

I have access to cut-off saw, metal cutting band saw, a grinder. die grinders, 4-1/2inch grinders, a drill press .. and I guess you could say access to a welder.. but I ain't no welder yet.

So.. ideas please? I need a tad bit of help.. :!: :roll: :arrow: :arrow:

Thanks much, I appreciate
:D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue May 16, 2006 6:51 am

Hi Rudi

I would try this

part #1 chains crossed to final drive housing

part #2 chain looped over cross chains and under tung (loose) to hold it up if the hinge breaks. Like crossing the chains on a trailer so if it comes off it helps hold it up.

good luck Billy

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat May 20, 2006 5:18 pm

Guys:

Well seems I have solved most of the problems.. however I still have a couple that will need the combined prowress of the many Cub-a-holics on this forum.

This is what I need...

1. A hitch system that will incorporate a clevis style drawbar mounting hitch so that a simple hitch pin or bolt and washers to mount to the drawbar. And, the back side of this clevis should have a hinge of some type connected to a plate that I can bolt to the tongue of the disc harrow..

I know it probably sounds simple to a lot of you.... but I am trying to find the individual parts I need to maybe weld em up together... but not sure how to do it... so far all the parts I have found will end up costing me about 60 bucks to make a hitch... too much.. gotta be cheaper way to do it.. and stronger than a strap hinge... The concept works.. but the meat just isn't there.

2. lift and anti-sway rods and how to fasten them to the frame to make it more rigid as George suggested.. I am hoping that I can get some ideas that will make it easy to make this stuff in a non-metalworking shop...

I know it isn't all that clear, but I will try to make a sketch and see if it is do-able

Also, I want to add an extension behind the harrow as well. I want to be able to hang some short chains -- say about 12" about 3/4" apart or so.. to act like a leveler...

As for the weight fears... guys, Ellie is just runnin with this harrow. No lift problems, and no problems cutting the sod.... she is doing a great job.. it is a blast... 8) 8) :lol:

Thanks guys..

Return to “Farmall Cub”