This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Cub clutch

Postby Festus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:50 am

I got another 53 Cub. This one had set for several years but the previous owner (who I know very well) said everything worked great when he parked it. My question involves the clutch - when you depress the pedal, it stays down. I can put my foot under the pedal and raise it but it takes some effort to do so. He says it never did that previously. Looking through the inspection hole, I can't really see any apparent problems. The tractors runs great and I can't make the clutch slip, so I feel it is not the pressure plate springs. Any ideas? Thanks
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:30 pm

is the pedal loose or is it bound up?
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:39 pm

As PWL said, the pedal could be bound. Also check for a broken or missing return spring. It's located under the platform.
8)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:38 pm

When I bought my '67, there was a heavy steel bar across the front edge of the platform that went up and over the torque tube. Previous owner obviously had clutch problems, as there was a second spring jury-rigged from the clutch pedal to the steering post. Also, the platform was bent down drastically on the right front corner.

Dad was tinkering on the Cub, trying to get the bolts holding the mower deck to the final drive loose so we could fix the left brake, when he caught his head on the protruding bar :shock:

Suffice it to say, after several minutes of cussing and swearing... The bar is no longer on the tractor.

Turns out the bar was pushing the front corner of the platform down, causing the clutch and right brake to bind up. Once the bar was gone, the platform came up almost straight and the clutch now works without the extra helper spring.

After that long winded diatribe, I guess the question is:

Is your platform straight?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:54 pm

Festus, the shaft going fro the pedal into the torque tube is problaby rusty. try oiling that with some light oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Mon May 01, 2006 11:22 am

All,

It does seem the cluth shaft is sticking. I had my son push the clutch while I lay on my back with a flashlight and it seems everything moves and works as it should in the clutch. I will start spraying the shaft and working the clutch periodically to see if that helps. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it works.

Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

Return to “Farmall Cub”