This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rear axle service

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

rear axle service

Postby freebird » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:50 am

I changed my crankcase oil and tranny fluid yesterday (yuk) and got to looking at the rear and saw the 2 hex plugs on the rear axles. I looked in my manual and it says to use hy-tran....same as what it lists for my touch control resivouir...it also lists 90 weight, like used in the tranny. I think it would be best to get some 90 wt as I don't have enough left from yesterday's service. I don't get hy-tran out here but use farm and implement hydraulic fluid in the t/c. opinions, suggestions?
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:03 am

Terry - my personal preference is for 90 wt. But I'm old fashioned. If you're going to change the fluid, you will need to drop the pans to drain them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:26 am

I am gong to opt for the 90 wt too....if hydraulic fluid is not supposed to get into the crankcase (via shot o-ring on pump) I don't want it to lube gears either. just makes sense to me.
I'm starting to suspect that is where that clicking sound I heard last week is coming from. I'll update when i get it done. Hope no damage done.

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:35 am

If you're getting a "clicking" noise, check the bolts that hold the wheel center to the rim. That same thing drove me crazy for a bit :lol:
8)

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:39 am

The bolts will be coming out....My new rear 9.5 x 24 tires will be here tomorrow! :{_}:

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:44 am

freebird wrote:I am gong to opt for the 90 wt too....if hydraulic fluid is not supposed to get into the crankcase (via shot o-ring on pump) I don't want it to lube gears either. just makes sense to me.

Temperature requirements for engine oil are a lot different than a transmission. Transmissions typically run cooler than the hydraulic system.

Moisture conditions are a lot different as well. If you get an engine warmed up, it will drive a lot of moisture out. Doesn't happen in the transmission.

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:07 am

That makes good sense George. now I'm clear.

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Return to “Farmall Cub”