This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rear tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Maybe I'm a tight wad or just cheap but I bought some of the tire paint from Miller Tire at Red Power last summer and painted my 48's tires with it and was very pleased. I plan on doing the 56's the same way. I did have to change one tire (thanks Ralph) because the air was showing through the side wall :shock: Anyway it took some time as the bead was rusted to the tire and tube. The wheel was in good shape and needs cleaning up (this weekend) and I hope to have it mounted by then as well. I think Mr. GW was the one who tipped me off to the tire paint at Cubfest last year. It's a lot cheaper than new tires! But the new ones sure do look good to :D
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:42 pm

No Kodiak, that is called FRUGAL. It makes perfect sense. But I am looking at a sidewall that has sat flat for a while (??) and I can see past the cords so I think it is a good idea to replace it before I put the tractor back together and it is really a project to fix it. I know it would go at the worst time!

Since I need to replace one and have spent a lot of time on this Cub I figure I should take the tires off and clean up and paint the rims.... and once I have em off I guess it just makes sense to have a matched pair. Iffy one is a Pnuemant (German) and the good one is an Armstrong. Nearest I can figure is that Armstrong is owned by Perelli and they don't make tractor tires anymore.

I think can find a good home for both of em anyway. If nothing else I bet they would draw decent money on ebay or I could trade em.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:30 pm

Since they don't seem to be the tire of choice anyway, it's probably irrelevant, but, there are socio-political reasons not to buy Firestones at this particular point in time.

The Japanese company (Bridgestone to us) that bought Firestone is mistreating the workers at the Firestone Rubber Plantation in Liberia really badly right now, and they don't seem to give a hoot about who knows it. Although Japanese exploitation of other cultures is not unheard of, this is a most heinous example, and it needs to end.

For those of you who don't give a rodent's buttocks about Liberia, you should.

Liberia is a country that was created by the US, unofficially, to repatriate freed slaves in the early 19th century. It has long maintained economic and political ties to the US, and has been a strategic stronghold for us during both world wars, and since, providing rubber to the allied forces as well as a secure harbour. The mindset of the Liberian people is that the US is their "big brother". They don't know that we barely remember who they are.

Although they have gone through some difficult times recently, there is no excuse for them to be treated in such a foul manner as they have been recently by Firestone's Japanese parent company. When Harvey Firestone was alive, and Firestone rubber was a US interest, this sort of thing never happened, I can guarantee you that. Firestone used to be the best place to work in the country. Now, sadly it is one of the only places to work, and the Japanese use that as an excuse to make it the worst. Not that we didn't do our share of exploitation, but there is a difference between benevolence and malevolence when you are exploiting a country's natural resources.

So, unless you really can't say no, please consider not buying Firestones right now.