This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub / cub cadet transmissions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

cub / cub cadet transmissions

Postby Chris Jones » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:01 pm

I'm wondering just how different the cub cadet transmissions are from the cub transmissions. Is the gearing different? I've read where someone had a cub with a cadet trans and it had 3 reverse speeds and 1 forward. He needed to flip the diff to correct. Also heard the cadet trans didn't have all the mounting holes drilled and tapped that the cub uses. Lastly, if they are really similar could a cadet creeper be installed on a cub if you could rig a shift lever?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:39 pm

There are no holes for the rear rockshaft to mount to, and I beleive most of them also had no hole for the fill plug. differential will have to be turned over to get 3 forward instead of 3 reverse gears.. Installing creeper would be a problme due to torque tube, as well as the fact it would slow down pto. I also wonder if the Cadet creeper can handle the cub engine.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:41 am

John, the transmissions on the cub cadet orginals, ( probably first years made) the transmissions are taped for the rear rockshaft, thats where the seat on the cadet's bolt to also (both of mine) have the fill plugs on top, & have a removable welch plug on the side for the PTO shifter, but the ring gear is on the oposite side & will need turned over. Dave F.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:59 am

Dave F. wrote:John, the transmissions on the cub cadet orginals, ( probably first years made) the transmissions are taped for the rear rockshaft, thats where the seat on the cadet's bolt to also (both of mine) have the fill plugs on top, & have a removable welch plug on the side for the PTO shifter, but the ring gear is on the oposite side & will need turned over. Dave F.

One of my 48's, Bud has a CC transmission and I have another for a spare. Both of them have the rockshaft mounting holes tapped. The differential does indeed have to be turned over and the plug for the PTO lever knocked out. They have the fill plug. The input shaft has to be exchanged for the Cub's long one. I've heard that the second gear is a different ratio, but if so, it isn't apparent.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:10 pm

Some of the Original model Cub Cadet transmissions even have the "fill to" plug down on the left side of the case. There are three different second gear ratio's used in the IH built Cub Cadet's, a 16, 17, and 19 tooth, depending on the tractor serial number, but if I remember correctly, the same three ratio's are also listed for the Farmall/International Cub, again, depending on the serial number.

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:00 pm

My cub has a bit much first reverse noise for me and it occurs to me that Cadet trans probably wouldn't have as much wear as cub ones as replacements. I've never seen the creeper but figured it wouldn't work with the cub--be nice if it would. I don't really have a use for the pto anyway so that doesn't matter to me.

While I'm thinking. Does anyone know what I should expect an engine shop to charge me to rebuild my cub engine?

Sometimes I think I'm going to replace every piece on it one at a time.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Paul B wrote:Some of the Original model Cub Cadet transmissions even have the "fill to" plug down on the left side of the case. There are three different second gear ratio's used in the IH built Cub Cadet's, a 16, 17, and 19 tooth, depending on the tractor serial number, but if I remember correctly, the same three ratio's are also listed for the Farmall/International Cub, again, depending on the serial number.

As I recall, the Farmalls used the 17 gear until about the time the Lo-Boy came out, then they switched to the 16 for both models. I don't think they ever used the 19 except in the Cadets.

Return to “Farmall Cub”