This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Not Engaging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70453
Tractors Owned: 1974 IH Cub
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO Not Engaging

Postby LYNYRD » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:23 am

Was having troubling getting PTO to Engage and now all I get is a low grinding noise, (like gear teeth worn down). PTO will not engage can't even coax it into gear by playing with leaver and hand turning belt(tractor not running). How hard is it to fix this problem and is there a diagram (hopefully showing step by step) of this repair. I have all the tools needed to do the job and a shop to work in just green on how to fix this paticular Item. Help..

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:37 am

Charles, I suggest that you start by reading here:
http://www.antique-tractor.com/CubFAQ/cub_faq_2.html#q4

The repair is straightforward mechanics, nothing really tricky other than threading the assembly back into position on the tractor and that isn't all that bad.
I don't know if there's a narrative on this or any pictures but you shouldn't have any problems you can't handle.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70453
Tractors Owned: 1974 IH Cub
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow

PTO repair

Postby LYNYRD » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:58 am

From what I described in earlier post, which parts should I order so I can repair this problem, I plan on doing it this weekend. I have another Yellow and White cub I use for gardening. I was thinking of robbing parts for it since I do not use pto on that tractor. The one with PTO is the one I mow with. I am not too keen on robbing one to fix the other but ......

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:14 am

Without pulling the pto and inspecting it, I would not want to hazard a guess as to what might need replacing. With the second tractor, at least you will have what you need to do the job and you can then get the repair parts needed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:31 pm

I could fathom a guess... (I am not as wise as Big Dog) that possibly the shifter 'collar' is worn or more likely that the shaft has just moved back on the bearing/seal?? The later PTOs had a snap ring to hold the shaft in place. You may be able to tell if it moved by just looking at the shaft where it comes out of the seal, if it slid back it may be obvious?

You can pull just the PTO fairly easily (6 capscrews) and look for something obvious. It is trickier to get it back in because you have to get the lever in the slot on that collar and the end in the bushing.

You should drain the tranny if you are going to take the big plate off, but that may be a good reason to put in new lube anyway.

As far as parts?? The bearing is a pretty common one and the seal is too. (NAPA if you are in a jam, but TM will have everything you need.)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”