This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

QUICK PAINT JOB

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:22 pm

Sorry, Dr Becker but that's not it. Although I do wash my hands more than once after working on the Cub. Especially if I have been running the angle grinder with a cup brush on it.

My friends that are Cub-deficient call me 'just plain nuts'! That is why I joined this self help group called FARMALLCUB.COM. They are helping me with all my problems!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:28 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Buzzard Wing wrote:I am probably not too typical, I even prime and paint the nuts, bolt heads and lockwashers. And chase all the tapped holes. Surely they have a special name for the psychiatric ward for folks with my 'problem'!

It is called Obsessive-Compulsive
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-an05.html

Have you put any thought into your own special problem, Dr. Jim?? I'm honestly curious to compare theories....

:shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:46 pm

My biggest problem is that each day gets better than the one before it. I do try to make the best of it though. Sometime i begin to think it is genetic for my father at 96 shortly before he died told me "Bill each day gets better than the one before it" I assurred him I knew of where he spoke and that I had the same problem.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:49 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Buzzard Wing wrote:I am probably not too typical, I even prime and paint the nuts, bolt heads and lockwashers. And chase all the tapped holes. Surely they have a special name for the psychiatric ward for folks with my 'problem'!

It is called Obsessive-Compulsive
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-an05.html

I am glad I am not the only one that does this. I chase my threads and paint my bolt head and washers. I am told alot that I am, well to put it nicely "too picky" but I simply want as perfect as a job as I can get.
Down here in cajun country!
Breaux Bridge, La
http://photobucket.com/albums/y235/kylev/Tractor/
1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:27 am

The easiest and most fun paint job is to get 4 of the rattle cans of red paint. Line them up on the hood of the Cub. Shoot the rattle cans with a .22 rifle. Don't hit the tractor! Instant paint job.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:55 am

for degreaser we get the power washing degreaser at Home Depot. You have to use it full strengh for it to work but it works good. we use it in a squirt bottle and spary the part then wait then powerwash.
stuff is around 6 dollars
Image On To Bigger Things

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:52 pm

Oh, I'm Obsessive Compulsive, I'll admit it. I'm even prescribed medication for it. I don't take it, because then my paint jobs don't come out as nice as they could.

Also, the medication makes you forget where you put things, because you are not worried about loosing them, or making sure they go back in their proper place.

It's easier just to be compelled to detail every single part of something. One of the biggest reasons I haven't started the restoration on my cub is, uncertainty. Was the starter black or red? what about the intake manifold? did they paint over the ID plate on the starter? what color was the front rim/silver and red, or red? How much of the tractor should be assembled when it is painted? How did the factory do it? should the radiator be red or black? should I find dot head bolts for everything rather than newer hardware? will the tractor look worse if restored to original condition, rather than "how I would restore it?"

The questions go on and on, and I know it will be torn apart for at least 3 years... So I wait.

:D
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

RANDAL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RANDAL » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:11 pm

I have gotten my 52 cub in good mechanical shape and getting ready to take it to some local tractor shows (as soon as I install new brake shoes). I have decided to show it "in its element" for now. So many Farmalls are shown with a paint job far better than any Farmall would have had new anyway. I have had others tell me that they appreciate seeing a Farmall as is every now and then. So, I plan on showing mine a few times like it sits for now and maybe next year I'll throw some paint on. My brother has a Super A and he brush painted all the cast iron parts and sprayed the hood and fenders. It's looks as good (and more like a factory job) as many of the "obsessive-complusive" models do.

I used a pressure washer and oven cleaner to degrease. Scrubbing Bubbles spray also works pretty good.
GO BIG RED !

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

QUICK PAINT JOB

Postby LARRY BALL » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:07 pm

I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT OVEN CLEANER, THE CHEAP SPRAY ON VARIETY THEY SELL AT YOUR LOCAL DOLLAR STORE WILL BE THE EASIEST $5 BUCKS YOU'LL EVER SPEND. HOWEVER, KEEP IT OFF CAST ALUMINUM AND CHROME PARTS. AFTER SATURATING THE CAKED GREASE AND DIRT. TRAILER IT TO THE NEAREST HIGH PRESSURE CAR WASH AND SOAK IT IN THEIR TIRE AND ENGINE DEGREASER, THEN TURN ON THE HOT SOAPY WATER. THAT WAY YOU WON'T NEED THE
"DREADED WIRE-WHEELED GRINDER" SUDDENLY MY LEAST FAVORITE NEW TOOL. DON'T ASK WHY? :wink: :wink: :wink:
LARRY BALL

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:11 pm

Wow, this thread still lives. I think the original poster gave up and figured it looked great as it was!

Lots of time has passed and the amount of time I have spent on this Cub is pretty mind numbing... but I really do look forward to working on it. I should be done in the next couple of weeks.

I haven't needed oven cleaner on this one.... and I guess the paint was so old it just gave up, so even that hasn't been as tough as the yeller Cub.

I still stand by the IH rattle can paint, it goes on well and would suprise many people how good it looks. After a year it seems to have held up well on Rufus.

Soooo.... every part in this picture was painted individually, BUT one was sprayed by a professional (using Case/IH 2150) the rest was rattle can IH paint.... by me.

GUESS THE PART?????~~~~!!!!

And just to make it more interesting (or give ya a clue) the only run on the whole machine is also in the picture.... Of course it's my run. And the rim is not red, but I did paint it.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”