This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

quick question on front wheels

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SassafrasSprings
10+ Years
10+ Years

quick question on front wheels

Postby SassafrasSprings » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:43 pm

Has anyone ever used 12" trailer wheels on their cub? Like what Tractor Supply Co. sells?Harley the '49 needs something becides what is on him, really cobbled up car spares. :shock: We have a trailer that uses them and tried a wheel. The bolt hole patern is perfect but the hole where the hub sticks through is not quite the same. There is about 1/8 inch of space all around instead of fitting snug. Would this cause any problems?
Last edited by SassafrasSprings on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara in NW Arkansas
Turquoise Farms
--------------------
'49 Cub, '50 Cub, '58 Cub, '70 Cub
'74 John Deere 301-A Industrial w/loader
'50 Minneapolis Moline U
Always on the lookout for more!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:46 pm

It will place all of the thrust on the wheel bolts but unless you plan on using something like a front end loader that will place a lot of weight on the wheels I don't think it will create any problems.

There are some lawn and garden wheels and cub cadet rear wheels that will work fine.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:40 pm

Used rear lawn mower rims and tires work well and are very cheap. You need to measure up the center hole and bolt spacing to make sure.

Eugene

SassafrasSprings
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SassafrasSprings » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:16 am

Thanks guys. 8) We'll do some checking around. There's several lawnmower repair places, they might have something. Would only ever have a 42 belly mower or a sickle mower on it.
Barbara in NW Arkansas

Turquoise Farms

--------------------

'49 Cub, '50 Cub, '58 Cub, '70 Cub

'74 John Deere 301-A Industrial w/loader

'50 Minneapolis Moline U

Always on the lookout for more!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:35 pm

I know a guy that has used trailer tires and rims for a few years on a Cub that mows reguarly.

Sure seems to be an economical solution. I spent a lot of time cleaning, painting and mounting the front tires on mine!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:25 am

BW, that's cool 8)
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:33 am

Hey BW, that is cool. 8) 8)

I may try that on one of mine :?
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: quick question on front wheels

Postby George Willer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:43 am

turquoise farms wrote:Has anyone ever used 12" trailer wheels on their cub? Like what Tractor Supply Co. sells?Harley the '49 needs something becides what is on him, really cobbled up car spares. :shock: We have a trailer that uses them and tried a wheel. The bolt hole patern is perfect but the hole where the hub sticks through is not quite the same. There is about 1/8 inch of space all around instead of fitting snug. Would this cause any problems?

Barbara,

If appearance isn't important to you, and the lug bolts are kept tight, it will probably work just fine. There ARE other alternatives though... garden tractor wheels. Scruffy is wearing a pair of Simplicity wheels from a Wards 2 wheeler. Image

Bud's wheels are from a Bolens. The centers in the wheels are identical to the originals, but sometimes the rims are wider. In Bud's case about 1/2".

Many garden tractor rear wheels will work too... especially if you could use more flotation. Scruffy's earlier wheels came from the rear of an unknown garden tractor and now adorn Cowboy's Cub.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”