This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Basket case running

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839
Circle of Safety: Y

Basket case running

Postby muleboss » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:28 pm

I finally got the basket case running this afternoon. Problem is top of radiator got hot after it ran a while. Guessed it was not circulating. removed lower hose and housing, it was gunky. ran water through it. Ran water through radiator it ran out bottom hole. pluged bottom hole, it ran out of block where housing goes. Have not checked it yet as I cut old hose off, and will get new hose tomorrow. Question is, can cap be wrong and cause it to heat if it is pressure cap? Just about everything else on Indy was wrong. Oh yea she started on first try and sounds great. I think it was the Missouri rod that helped. Thanks John and Eugene.
Next thing is hyd lift does not work, Piston works but arms do not move, checked fluid, it is level as should be. Any suggestions here?
Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:11 pm

the cap on my "basketcase" is no pressure, and i believe that to be the correct specs. I believe that i have read on this site that 3-4lbs? would be okay, anything more than that, would interefere with thermosyphon system.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:27 pm

There is no water pump on the Cub. The water circulates as it heats up. The top of the radiator gets hot. The water level in the radiator should be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches below the cap. The cooling system is working as it is supposed to. The radiator will spit out the excess water - just so your are aware and not thinking it's boiling over. My Cub will dribble a little water when I go down a steep grade.

Radiator cap. If you have an old radiator use a no (zero) pressure cap, 2 or 3 lbs at most.

Rinse out the bottom of the block, between and behind the cylinders, when you replace the lower radiator hose.

Not sure on the hydraulics. Someone else will jump in on that one.

Eugene

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:10 pm

Thanks guys. I noticed top was hot and bottom was cold, thought that it should equal out, but guess not. I think everything is OK then with cooling system
Still no hyd lift.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:37 pm

Circulation is completely independent of pressure. Pressure only raises the boiling point.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:09 pm

muleboss wrote:Thanks guys. I noticed top was hot and bottom was cold, thought that it should equal out, but guess not. I think everything is OK then with cooling system

Sounds about right to me.
Great to get something running isn't it, hope someone comes up with the hyd prob.
Piston you say is working but not the raise arms? Dont have a hyd cub so can't offer advice.
Pat

Return to “Farmall Cub”