This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine rebuild kit?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Engine rebuild kit?

Postby BOB K. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:00 am

I have the origanal engine from my654 Cub that needs rebuilding. I removed it about 10 years ago and put another engine in it. Well that one is getting tired so I want to rebuild the origanal one. Where is the best place to get a complete rebuild kit? Not junk. Are these kit expensive? What should I expecte to spend to rebuild it? I will have to find a shop to do the block and I will assemble it. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:45 am

Bob - consider getting the necessary parts from the shop that does the block. This will aid you should you encounter problems with the rebuild.
Kits are available from J.P. Tractor Salvage. There is a link to their site at the bottom of the page. Tisco also has a good kit.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:56 am

I agree with Bigdog. A ball park figure would be in the neighborhood of 12 to 15 hundred dollars for a rebuild. A do it yourself overhaul could be as little as 3 to 4 hundred dollars. Thats what I spend on mine.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:18 am

CaseIh just did new rings, rodbearings and somthing else :?: on mine, complete tear down, and thorough cleaning in the parts cleaner (sand everwhere-sandblasting :oops: ) it was 660. No machining was needed, as it was near perfect inside. :D john This included new TOB and installing back on clutch housing. as i took it to them off the clutch housing. Not bad i thought. :?: :?:

BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BOB K. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:47 am

I had a Cub engine rebuild by Case/IH about 15 years ago. It cost me $1600.00 with a new clutch. I was hoping not to spend that much again. Also the dealer is no longer and the next dealer is like 3 hours away.I will have to find a shop that can do a block with the valves in it. Will a automotive machine shop be able to do the job? Thanks

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:35 am

Automotive machine shops can do the work.

You might try one of the small engine shops (lawn mowers/tractors, marine engine) or general machine shop in your area. A shop that overhauls small engines should have the tools on hand to overhaul a Cub engine.

New Holland handles Case/IH parts and can probably overhaul your engine.

Eugene

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:12 pm

Hey Bobby
Kits like bearings, pistons,Valve train. Have to internet shop and look for the best deals and what ever is in your wallet.Most kits are Tisco like the "Dog" said are good. If you listen to Bermuda Ken"Keep your cub running right with quality IH parts"My cub likes his parts too.Heck I have everybodys parts in my cub.E-bay, TM ,JP. Machining can be done by any auto machine shop. I just had my local one do the seats on my C-175 engine. $10. bucks a hole.They don't see cast iron pistons like on the cub anymore. I had to go .20 over on my cub if I can recollect.No#4 piston is always the worst.Cost about $150.Hey don't laugh on these prices everybody this is Long Island ok. avg house is $350,000.Crank turned and had to build up main bearing.$125. over .20 pistons and rings ,I forgot maybe around $325?What are we talking here $600 700 doing the work my self. Nothing is cheap . That was 3 years ago.
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

panicmechanic
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby panicmechanic » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:45 pm

Bob,
I am in the middle of a major on my 53 and just finished the engine. I went to NAPA and was able to order all I needed from the Clevitte heavy duty catalog. Pistons, rings, bearings, valves, guides, springs, locks, gaskets, seals........all were American made except for the valves and guides. I paid a little more than say a Tisco kit but I am very happy
with the parts. Total parts were around $700. I had the machine work done at an automotive machine shop.......cut crank$100, Bore & hone block $20/hole, press in the guides and touch up the valve seats $60, machine the head $40........all the grunt work myself. The shop was great to work with. I took them the block and crank and they measured it up and I ordered the parts. They waited until I brought the pistons and bearings back before they started machining. About a week from the time I first visited them until I picked everything up completed. :wink:
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Return to “Farmall Cub”