This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What kind of paint did IH use.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Western Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

What kind of paint did IH use.

Postby Western Cub » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:47 pm

Im nearing the paint stage of my cub restoration. I wonder if you could tell me what type of paint I should use. Was the original stuf a eurethane or something else? I restored my H and painted it with an enamel but it took a long time to harden. I want my cub to be super glossy and hold its gloss and not turn maroon. What do you reccommend?
Thanks
51 Super C, 44 H, 2 48 Cubs, and finally I now have a Super MD!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Psycho
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Psycho » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:56 pm

They sell a catalyst hardener for enamel. It does what you want. Gloss, faster dry time, and obviously hardens.
Bob

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:00 pm

The paint IH used is nothing like what is available today. Most on this forum use IH 2150 Red, a synthetic enamel, I believe. 2150 is what I use to paint my tractors. So that it will harden quicker and shine, I add a little hardener to it. I paint in the yard and use a very good mask over my nose and mouth. Be careful with the hardener; it can cause severe respiratory problems.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

macdaddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby macdaddy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:10 pm

I use and sell the base coat clear coat system.
I also have the hardener that psycho is talking about.
When I paint anything it's base clear, it's the only way to go.
If you want any of this look up user name lebanonfiberglass on ebay. or e-mail me and I will help anyway I can.
I just painted my 582 cadet base clear and man does it shine,

Mike

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm

you could also use a single stage urethane, xcellent gloss and durability. i used nason fulthane, its made by dupont .

Return to “Farmall Cub”