This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub down

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub down

Postby Dave Irish » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:26 am

Hello, It has been a long time sice I have posted but I have not had any problems for a while. It looks like my time has come. Yesterday I was happily disking. Cub was running just fine. I found I needed to use the facilities. Shut her down, 15 minutes later came out won't start. Tried and tried. I wanted to just get her to the shed for the evening, still no luck.
This moring went out and cleaned the carb, checked spark on all four and compression seems good( just a finger test) still nothing. I am not even getting a hit. I guess I will check the points. Stating to baffle me.

Any suggestions

Thank you David Irish
" Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:30 pm

Dave, start with the basics. Confirm that you have fuel and spark. Those are the most common sources of problems.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave Irish » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:09 pm

Hello. I have gas and spark but decided to check points. Not bad but i am going to dress and re-gap right now. But I found hand cranking pulley to fing tdc it was much more difficult than it was I had to take out all four plugs normally if I take out #1 plug I can turn the pulley by hand. Sorry for getting back here before i did the points but I know it is alot easier to get relpies on a Sunday. And I have to go to my wife's cousins for dinner.

I'better get cleaned up soon

Thanks Dave

John Lane
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Lane » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:57 pm

About a week ago I parked my 78 cub in the shop to work on the steering. After I got it all back together it would not start, or even act like it wanted to. After checking everything else I could think of, I decided to replace the coil with a coil from another tractor, and it fired right up. I guess coils are like people--when they get tired they just quit.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Wait until you et hold of one that the coil misfires or quits when it gets hot, then works again when it cools. will drive you nuts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:22 pm

YOu are right John. Nothing worse than an intermitten or heat related problem!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:56 am

I remember one neat thing from my ASE training with battery/points ignitions for troubleshooting you don't hear often, and I still use this on old equipment sometimes. Works on magneto coils many times too, and on intermittent plug wires also:

Runs fine cool/cold, stops or runs rough warm, no warm restart:
Many times the condenser. Check spark, usually a yellow spark on plugs gives this away and the engine restarts when the condenser cools off. If condenser is OK, liberally spray WD40 or other penetrating lube over the outer casing of the coil. As coils are nearly impossible to instrument test in the field this almost always gives a bad coil away, engine will start and work fine until the WD40 evaporates. Old coil casings often develop fissure cracks in their casings that the WD seeps into and restores open windings momentarily.

There is nothing you can't fix with WD40, vice grips, duct tape and a beer if the previous 3 fail :lol:

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:03 am

Hey Dave...I believe that you'll find your problem to be EITHER the condensor, or coil. :wink:

If you didn't change the condensor when you installed NEW points...it's most likely your condensor. If you did put on a NEW condensor, and it's been running fine...it's probably your coil working intermitantly. :wink:

Let us know how you do! :D
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:16 am

If you have another condensor handy, you may be able to just hook it up to the external NEG post on your coil and see if it helps without going to all the bother of tearing apart the distributor housing.

I'm not positive, but I believe my Cub has the old condensor still inside the distributor housing, and a replacement of sorts just pipe-clamped beside the coil on the outside.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:21 am

Allen - if the condensor is breaking down, adding another one externally will not help. The condensor is connected across the points to reduce arcing as the points open. If you parallel one across the defective one, it will do no good unless the original was completely open which is extremely rare.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:40 am

Be sure that power is getting to the coil. That old ignition switch might have failed.
Luck favors those who are prepared

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:37 am

somthing simple to check is make sure your roter didnt skip a few teeth. I have had that hapen before. Good luck!
Alan

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:48 am

I had the same thing happen twice through the years with a C. Both times it was the metal tip fell off the rotor.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 am

Just always remember fire and fuel at the right time is what they taught me in mechanics 101
Jim Turner

Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave Irish » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:03 am

hi guys thanks for your replies. Well I cleaned up the points and the rotor

And now I am getting great spark off the coil but nothing to the plugs. I tried two old dist. caps...still nothing So I guess it has to be the rotor and it is not cheap thats why it has not been replaced.....

Oh well Dave

Return to “Farmall Cub”