This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mag timing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mag timing

Postby AlanPCUBS » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:31 am

This is on my 49. Ok this is my situation the engine itself in time all timing marks line up on front of engine. I put on a reman mag. I follow the instructions of putting the engine at TDC only have one mark on the crank pully. Mounting the mag so the rotor points at #1 wire then turning the mag against the engine block, turning the engine over again to TDC and when I turn the mag away to get the mag to click it doesnt click so I am wondering if the mag itself is out of time what do you all think? The tractor will run. But if you you put a timing light on it is just a bit out of time and there not enough adjustment to get it on. Appreciate your thoughts. Alan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:44 am

Alan - the mag is timed to TDC which is indicated by the single mark on the pulley. Once the engine starts, the timing should advance to 16 degrees BTDC. It is a fixed advance determined by the mag. When you re-check the timing with a light, there is no mark to indicate 16 degrees BTDC. Could this be the difference you are seeing? I time mag tractors with static timing and don't worry about using a timing light at all.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:55 am

with timing light on it is runing beforw BTDC as you stated Big Dog but my timing light doesnt have a adjustment to it so I cant ell how mu BTDC it is running but that very well could be the case.

I an still chasing ghosts of under powered. It stalls really easy in 2 and 3 gears and thought timing would be a good place to start. I guess next thing to check would be carb?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:01 am

I think your timing is OK. I'd look at governor response next. Unless it is cutting out or missing, I think your fuel supply is adequate. I think the governor is not responding to load changes. If you start it up and run the engine at about half throttle, reach in and push or pull on the carb throttle linkage. The governor should resist any changes in engine speed and it should be a very firm resistance to change.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:56 pm

Alan, After you turn the mag as far form the engien as you can, and it still won't trip, does it trip when you turn the engien a little further.? If so either the impules mechanism has a problme, or the iderl gear is one tooth off. put a mark 21/32 before TDC on your crankshaft pulley. Your timing light should fire at approcimately this point when runnning.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:06 am

Ill give it try John and your sugestion also Big Dog Ty fellas.

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:00 pm

HI ALLEN,
There really is nothing in the mag that can get out of time unless the key has sheared in the trip. Ikinda dought it.
I think you need to look at the rotor and make sure you are still coming up to #1. And install the mag before the pulley gets to the line by a half inch or click the mag past #1 install it then turn the motor back about a 1/4 revoulution then back to the timing mark and try and adjust the mag out till it trips.
JON
P.S. I forgot to add I have an H here that does the same thing it comes to the point where it wants to trip but I dont have enough room on the adjustment to trip it and I think someone had the motor apart and got the timing off by a tooth on that one.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:10 pm

Matgman, my 49 (now known as Missy) was that way heni I bought it. Rather than fix thier foul up, the shop that rebuilt it told the owner the mag was bad and sold the owner a distributor. I spent about 45 minutes the nite before one of the cubaramas trying to get a magneto to run on it before I gave up and put the distributor back on by flashlight.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”