This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

radiator fan removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

radiator fan removal

Postby jakeesspoo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:14 pm

Today I removed my Hitachi Alternator and radiator fan in preperation for painting. When I removed the fan and took the metal cup off a red oil started to come out. What is this oil? And how do I refill it when Im done? Also there was a gasket on the cover or cup is this available from TM or somebody, what is it called? Also do most people paint there fan red or black? :D :D thanks :)

nottso
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan Re-Do

Postby nottso » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:41 pm

The fan hub is filled with oil. You fill it by removing screw on side of hub after you re-mount the fan and hub when your finished painting. If you go to the http://www.cleancomputes.com/cub site, you can get a detailed view of the fan assembly from the original service manual. My 1950 fan is red from the factory. Rudi's cleancompute website is the most valuable tool on the internet if your re-doing a cub! The people participating in this forum are the most helpful folks I've met on the internet! Good luck!
Scott in PA

Bill Blansett
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill Blansett » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Jake and Nottso, A few more details. Good advice on Cleancomputes.com for good data. On the fan, (older oilbath type), The screw that Nottso mentioned is where you replace the oil, but specifically, you can add the oil, then rotate the fan where the screw is on the down side, 6 oclock position and let the excess drain out. At the screw location, there is a small standpipe inside the assembly that determines the correct level. If you just fill it up, it will run out the shaft at the rear as there is not a seal there. There was an O ring there when built, but not for the purpose of making it hold more oil. When the dripping stops, replace the screw. There should be a tiny rubber seal at the screw head. I use a cattle hypodermic needle to inject the 30 wt oil with the screw in the horizontal position.

As far as color. Your choice, but I think everything in that area was painted red at the factory. I have seen black ones. Just for kicks, I painted mine with the same silver gray paint I used on my rear wheel rims.