This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NO go

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

NO go

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:40 pm

on my 55 FCUB, i installed the rebuilt starter today. (Yes, Big Dog, i turned around backwards 3 times, clockwise-right?, and was facing what i think was magnetic north, at least i think i was) :lol:

1. Installed it and absolutly nothing.
2. i manuvered to the starter and accuated the switch (bypass the pull rod), and i got a grrrrrrrr for about a second and then nothing.
3. Remember Big Dogs comments about having good contact with cast and wires. so i pulled it back out, ensured it was bare clean steel to steel, scraped the 2 wires going to the starter so it would be fresh contacts. re-installed unit. albsoulutly nothing again.

4. i should mention the battery was dead (is charging as we speak, so i am being productive, hey GW). I jumped the 55 with basket case, know (believe) cables to be good.

5. My plan, GO TO THE MANUAL, Fully charge battery, enlist the comments of the board for possible other solutions.

6. It should be noted here i did drive the tractor into the barn 6 months ago and shut it off. nothings been done to her since.?????????????????????????

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:42 pm

that cam-gear thing that slides up and down inside the starter, i am assuming was to be to the back of the starter (front of tractor), as i am assuming as it does it thing it spins forward, and engages ?????????????????????

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:49 pm

John,

The starter can only go in on way...I hope :lol: :lol:
Sounds like you need to get a fully charged battery with good tight connections at each connection. You shouldn't have any trouble after that :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm

Doc - that cam gear thing is the Bendix unit. When the starter motor begins to turn over the bendix should extend with a snap. Donny is right, a fresh charge on the battery and clean, tight connections should do it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:29 pm

Freshly charged battery and clean connections as the others suggested.

If that doesn't work. Disconnect the cables at the battery first. There is/should be an adjustment under the push button on the starter. When you take the push button cover off there will be a copper post with a nut on the top of the starter. Loosen the nut and back the post out about two turns. Put the cover back on and try again.

It may be that the starter pull lever and cam are hitting the stop and that you are not making solid contact.

Eugene

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:33 pm

Eugene has a good point. That switch usually either gets totally ignored during a starter rebuild or gets slapped on and never checked.
Bigdog

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:13 pm

well the repair bill on this starter alone was 120+. everything should be new. has new switch. they probably as you say just slapped it on.

printed off this thread, will be doing that switch first thing in am. also reviewed manual, nothing but wiring diagrams and specs, no troubleshooting area. which means i probably got not enough manuals.

i wanted to call that cam/gear thing a bendix. but didnt want to be a fool ifn i was wrong. :oops:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:21 pm

Doc you can do some bench testing if you have a good set of jumper cables and a fresh battery. Even without removing the starter from the tractor again. If you test it off the tractor make sure you have a good hold on it when you make the last connection.
Bigdog

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 pm

You will probably not find manuals coverering the switch. It's a very simple affair. Two fixed contacts and one movable contact - the plunger thingy that moves when you pull the starter lever.

To remove the switch. Disconnect the cable from the starter. Remove the screws holding the switch to the starter. You may have to remove the bolts holding the starter to the block to get to the back screw(s). Then rotate the starter a bit.

One of the posts (contacts) is adjustable. Just back this contact out a turn or two. Reassemble then try to start the tractor.

The repair shop may have tested the starter and it worked ok. The problem is usually that the cam action stops before the plunger (movable contact) makes contact with the two fixed contacts.

Eugene

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:00 pm

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, this is what i am calling the starter.

1. Battery fully charged. Terminal connections clean and tight
2. Connections to starter clean and tight
3. nothing

removed starter.

used jumper cables as big dog suggested. was able to get starter to spin a couple of times, then nothing, absoultly nothing again. battery still charged. as i get spark.

Took switch off the unit. the only two screws i saw were the mounting screws to the case of the starter. the screw holes were holes, not slots. no sliding possbile.

put it all back together, still nothing.

took the demos starter (already rebuilt, just sitting there) tried the jumping thing, nothing, i got spark, but no movement.

?????????????????????????????????????????

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Battery

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:17 pm

Some batteries get a surface charge. They look good with a voltmeter but lack the punch to do anything. How old is your battery? Many auto parts stores test batteries free. You might consider getting it tested under load from a carbon pile.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:14 pm

If both starters don't work with your tractor battery - battery problem.

Have you tried using jumper cables from the car/pickup to the nut on the cable terminal post on the starter?

The adjustment, if needed and probably not at this point, is under the cover of the battery starter switch. Next time you take the switch off the top of the starter, turn the switch upside down, look inside and press the button down. The movable part must make contact with the cable post contact and the contact on the top of the starter.

Eugene

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:34 pm

i jumpered + to casing of starter.
(-) to nut on switch.
nothing
then i would actuate the switch, and then there would be a spark. but no movement. When there was movement, this is how i got it to move. but as i stated earlier that worked the first couple of times, not since
john

nottso
10+ Years
10+ Years

Starter jolt

Postby nottso » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:34 pm

When you have the jumper cables connected to the terminals, give the starter housing a few GENTLE taps with a plastic mallet or rubber mallet. Sometimes they need a little jolt to free-up the armature in a rebuild.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 pm

At this point I think I would take both starters back to the rebuildier.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”