This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cylinder head again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Cub Cylinder head again

Postby TOOLMAN » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:30 am

OK Thanks Guys
I think I will go with the JB weld and start my search for another Head with no cracks or welds
Does anyone have a spare they would part with cheap?
I spent a lot on my tractor only to find it had a cracked head when I removed the gas tank and saw the crack leaking water slowly.
The seller told me he did not know there was a crack and therefore he laugh when I ask for a refund towards the repair.
Remember Buyer Beware
Please let me know if anyone has an extra head they can part with
Thank You
Toolman Tony New York here
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:49 am

Not to play favourites, but really, Check with Ralph's cubs, listed at the bottom of the page. Ralph's a great guy. You can meet him any night in the chatroom here around 9 pm eastern time.

Just don't get on his wrong side, as he is known in certain circles as "The Enforcer".... :shock: :twisted: :D

Just kidding....private joke... :lol:

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ralph » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:44 am

Thanks Tom :lol:

Toolman i Do not have a head at this time .

as you said you couldn't see the srack repair till you took the hood off .

these are old tractors and it is buyer beware.

it is the responcability of the buyer to inspect the tractor.

if that is the only suprise that you find it is not a big deal only a few dollars to fix

what part of the country are you in and what did you pay for the tractor what inplements did you get with it ?

Thanks Ralph
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:18 am

The seller should replace the head for you. I sold a Cub a couple of years ago with a cracked head that I wasn't aware of because it never gave any indication that I could see. When he told me, I felt so bad I would have driven the 6 hours to his house and fixed it myself, but he was a very nice man and even insisted he pay for the gasket if I sent him a head. I sent him the head. A lot of heads go through e-bay. There is a couple on there now. If TM Tractors has one, it will be a nice one reasonable priced. I have never trusted a welded head even though I have seen a lot of them last for years after being welded.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:57 am

Tom at TM sandblasts and magnifluxes each head and block. Magnafluxing shows up cracks that are not visible yet and casting flaws that make them weak. So you know you have a "strong one." His site has pictures of each head for sale with the casting number shown so you may be able to find one near original for your tractor year if that is important to you. His used parts directory is down untill monday I think.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:19 am

Merlin wrote:The seller should replace the head for you. I sold a Cub a couple of years ago with a cracked head that I wasn't aware of because it never gave any indication that I could see. When he told me, I felt so bad I would have driven the 6 hours to his house and fixed it myself, but he was a very nice man and even insisted he pay for the gasket if I sent him a head. I sent him the head. A lot of heads go through e-bay. There is a couple on there now. If TM Tractors has one, it will be a nice one reasonable priced. I have never trusted a welded head even though I have seen a lot of them last for years after being welded.

Boy Merlin, Do you live anywhere near Perfect??? I'm buying from you next time!! :lol: :lol: :o :lol: :lol: I bought basket case, told all i needed was wiring harness. Will after a new head, governor rod, generator bracket, throttle and choke rods, lights, light eye bolts, complete hydraulic system (this one my fault-didn't notice), emblems, breather pipes, on and on........ was all it actually needed, as they were all missing. (Bought it in a box)But it was buy as is. as everything is used, isnt it?
Last edited by John(videodoc) on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:32 am

If I sell you something and you aren't satisfied, if I can't fix it to your satisfaction, you can surely have you money back, and most of the time just keep whatever I sold you to begin with. A lot of the parts I see for sale, I just give away anyway. I gave away 2 very good matched rear tires about a year ago not thinking I would ever need any more, but now I need 2 so I reckon I'll go buy a couple new ones.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 am

Whenever I have sold a used "anything"...I painfully point out its flaws to the greatest extent of my knowledge. Having said that, I additionally tell the prospective buyer to make sure he looks over the item, to be sure that there isn't something I may have not noticed. After all, I am aging, and not as sharp as I used to be. If the buyer decides to buy the item after all this, then the matter is final, as it should be. I don't feel like I need to be responsible for something which may have happened after the point of sale, or have a buyer use something that he was aware of to get his money back if he had a change of heart.

There is a point where fairness to both parties has to prevail.

We don't know toolman's purchase price, but unless it was excessive, there is no way the seller is responsible from any legal or moral point of view to reimburse him for the bad head, or refund his purchase price.

Your ideals are laudable, Merlin, but in many businesses, those ideals would make sure you went bankrupt rather quickly.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:05 pm

Tony,

Since Ralph can't help you out and TM Tractor is not currently available, take a look at JP Tractor Salvage at the bottom of this page. At least it's a price reference to use.

They list heads at $75.00, boiled, magnafluxed and planed, ready to install and they'll stand behind it.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:23 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring, you are absolutely correct. If I sold a Cub with a busted block and no pistons in it and it was known by both parties, tough, fix it or junk it. Don't come back crying to me. But a lot of things are to be "assumed" to work properly without any great expense to the new owner. If I bought a car and got it home and discovered a cracked head, I would surely take it back. But if he had told me about the cracked head before I bought it, I would probably ask myself, "self, what in the world are you buying something with a cracked head for"? Then I would eat the repair cost. No, we don't know how much he paid for the tractor, but even if it was just 10 cents, if he sold it as a working, operable tractor he should replace the head. As you said, after pointing out the flaws if he/she buys it, all he/she will get out of me is a cup of coffee and maybe a biscuit.

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:08 pm

Thanks Guys
I was told it was a good working tractor
The guy I bought it from was selling it for his friend
There were no know problems at all
I paid $1900 for her because it was suppose to be in good mechanical shape just in need of cleaning and paint
I did ask him to have his friend split the price of another head and I will get a gasket kit on my own and do the install
I think that was awfully fair of me don't you
I just have to wait and see if he will agree
Oh well live and learn
Toolman
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."