This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Golly, I am a star !

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Blansett
10+ Years
10+ Years

Golly, I am a star !

Postby Bill Blansett » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:00 pm

I see I have done something to get a star. It takes me back to 1st grade, 1940-1941. I had the meanest teacher a kid could have. She made a big poster with all the kids pictures and overlaid it with little windows over each photo. Daily, each morning she would do a hygine inspection of hair combed, no egg on face, clean behind the ears, properly dressed, shoes shined, and lastly CLEAN FINGERNAILS ! Well, I could usually pass all but the clean finger nails and shined shoes. Only had one pair and they had to do tripple duty. The fingernails were something else, as I must have been destined to be a mechanic and they never looked too good. This teacher would proceed to get a wooden ruler and turn your palms up and spank the daylights out of the inside of your hands. To top that off, my little window stayed closed. Those that passed a week had a silver star on the inside of the window, Then it progressed to gold stars. I am now on my way!

Well, here it is 65 years later and my cub greased hands would still not pass muster with that teacher. Sounds like she was harsh, but we learned real well, as I have never forgotten her. Thanks for listening to an old man's rambling. Bill

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:03 pm

Sounds familiar. The teacher always had one of those city kids do the inspection. I never could pass on the clean hands specially in the fall. We would pick up black walnuts. Walnut stain would soak into the skin and remain for weeks.

Eugene

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Hey I was a city kid but got the same treatment. Mud was made for boys to play in. My favorites were my grand fathers and they worked in a grease world. I loved it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Postby Russ Leggitt » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Hi Bill,

As Bob Hope would say, "thanks for the memories". I think every country
school kid had a teacher that graduated from the same "Charm School".
I was in the first grade in 1950 and I had a teacher like that, Mrs Gardner.

Funny how you can remember things like that and forget your wife's
wedding anniverseary and birthday and dress size. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well at this age blame it on..........., what is that disease again?
:? :? :?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:01 pm

I was in two different first grades... different schools, in 1940. Miss Phillips and miss Brady. Of course, we didn't have pre-school or kintergarten so I couldn't print my own name. It was printed on a card taped to my desk. I was worried I'd be found out, so I learned to do it on my own the first day.

That makes Bill B, Elvis, and me the same age. :)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:55 pm

Actually that city kid was a girl - really smart - teachers pet. The same girl every day. How's a county boy wearing patched pants, with a big red handkerchief hanging out of his pocket, with walnut stained hands, supposed to impress a city girl?

Eugene

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:53 am

Shoes shined? Shoes? You had shoes? If you had shoes before the 5th grade you were affluent. Then the only time you could wear them was on Sunday.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Hygiene

Postby allenlook » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:52 am

I skipped the first grade, but I went to a two-room schoolhouse so it was the same teacher for grades K-4, and the same teacher for grades 5-8.

She had a hot wheel track section she would use on the back of bare thighs. Blueberry season (like the walnuts mentioned earlier) usually nixed passing the hands part, but we didn't get the hot wheel track for that, usually you had to be quite a twit to get whacked.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:29 am

Hot Wheel track alen? hot wheels had been invented yet when most of us were in grade school.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:56 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Hot Wheel track alen? hot wheels had been invented yet when most of us were in grade school.

Sure they were, John... they just didn't come from a store, and they were metal instead of plastic. I was the envy of the neighborhood with my tricycle with the frame turned over. I had to help a few other kids make theirs. This was probably in 1941 or 1942.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:39 pm

Sure is enlightening to see what you "old guys" wen thru :shock: -Ididn't start 'til much later -1942 :!:
Our second grade teacher, Mrs. Anna Britt, was teaching her fourth generation when she retired. After retirement, she made a second career of attending class reunions of students, several over 50th year.
Everyone remembers her, and she did them. 8)
Happily, they hadn't discovered Ritalin in those days. Anna just tied us to the chair :lol: :wink:
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:08 pm

Bill,

I remember the hygiene checks to except my new first grade teacher took it one step further and did a belly button check. Don't think she was really looking at belly buttons. I can still remember being mad because it was during the winter and I had to unbutton all the buttons on my long johns. Happened to mention it to my mother and I guess some other kids did to because we never say the new teacher again.
Always try the easiest thing first.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Lint

Postby allenlook » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Well Brent, that's a whole different use of the terms "innie" and "outie" :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:58 am

In First Grade (Mrs. Shultz)...I remember being "sent in" during recess a lot of times for "Rough-housing" with Benny & Ronny Fritz. We always thought it was fun and releived tensions :lol: ...Mrs. Shultz thought otherwise! :cry:

I also fondly remember clothes pinning old playing cards to our rear bicycle frames so the tire tines would strike them and make a sound. These were our "Motor Cycles" and all the neighborhood kids would have races up & down the gravel roads. Sounded like a swarm of "Killer Bees". I guess they don't play Dodge Ball or Kickball anymore in schools today...too violent.

Growing up...our town had 1 Police Officer...Newt Byram. Old Newt was dressed up like a motorcycle cop with high top boots (must have taken him hours to lace them up). The one and only Police car was a 1949 Ford...BLACK with a huge, chrome siren & red light combination that was attached to the left front fender top. Newt was a fast-draw expert,(as my Father told me) and he demonstrated that at a party one night by twirling his gun outta his holster. When someone asked if it was loaded...Newt said "No" and pointed his gun torwards the ceiling and proceded to shoot a hole in the livingroom ceiling!!! :oops: AAaaaaah...the fond memories of youth! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:56 pm

miss la follette made me and dallas taylor sit in the back of the room 'cause we had no shoes.
phantom

Return to “Farmall Cub”