This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub disassembly

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tractarz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub disassembly

Postby tractarz » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:41 pm

I have to replace the brakes on my tractor which, according to the repair manual, requires removing the final drives. Are they so heavy that you need a lift and slings as per the manual or can one person handle them?

I also have a whinning first gear. I figured that as long as I have to do the above work, I may just as well open up the transmission. Is it better to split the tractor first before taking off the final drives and then work on the transmission or take the final drives off first then split the tractor.

I'm basically searching for the best sequence in order to minimize handling a lot of weight.

Thanks very much. :?

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

My experience

Postby countershaft » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:08 pm

I did the final drives first then went to the transmission. And yes , their heavy. I would certainly recommend a lift or sling. Drain the oil out first though. You may not have to get into the transmission once you take a look. No use making more work than necessary.
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:13 pm

The finals are around 70 - 80 pounds. It's not so much handling the weight as it is protecting the inner seals which are easily damaged.
As far as whether to remove the finals first or to split I would guess that it would be easier to split first , roll the rear end back and crib it up and then pull the wheels and finals. All in all, it is just a matter of how you feel most comfortable approaching it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:12 pm

Welcome aboard tractarz. Just one step at a time and you'll do fine.

Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

tractarz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub disassembly

Postby tractarz » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks everyone for your valued input.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:54 pm

I seldom disagree with Bigdog, since he's my adopted grandson, but I wouldn't do it that way.

Stabilize the front axle with wedges and remove the rear wheels, then the finals, then the platform and right side axle housing, and then remove the transmission from the torque tube. That way it will always remain stable. Assembly would be just the reverse. The platform won't necessarily have to be completely removed.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

tractarz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub disassembly

Postby tractarz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 am

Thanks George. The pictures on "Cecil's Mini-Cubfest" show pretty much the procedure that you recommend. I will follow your advise.

Terry

Return to “Farmall Cub”