This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

AllenLook is a CHEAP $#%@!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:17 am

Good Tools can't beat 'em. Wish I had one its on my want list list list. Allen being equiped is not cheap its a way of life :!: I have been telling my little brother that bridge port in his garage is taking up too much room and he should keep it at my place :!: I think he is going to let me take it I Know in the back of his mind if he uses it over here he's using my electric. When I start looking for a lathe I know it will be at auctions. Just because thats the way I am I'm just going to get it dirty anyways.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:57 am

'Country' Elliott wrote:Allen...CUBGRATULATIONS on your NEW lathe! :D When you say that the same "Chinese company" is producing that same lathe for Northern Tool, etc. it makes me sad to think about the way we have outsourced our American Economy to the Chinese! :cry: ALL FOR THE SAKE OF BUYING SOMETHING CHEAPER...I wonder if we'll look back on this someday and regret that we lost our entire American manufacturing capability...all for the ability to purchase cheaper finished goods from 3rd. world countries! :cry:

Country,

The other side of that coin is that in some cases the American companies have driven their customers away with grossly overpriced products. Allen didn't get by a little cheaper... he bought his lathe for less money than South Bend wanted for a cross feed screw. Luckily I was able to make one on my other lathe, and South Bend didn't get my money. That's an example of how they got in trouble!

http://members.toast.net/gwill/shop.html
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:21 am

Geeze I wish I had known you were looking for a lathe, the 'other' farmer on this island has one for sale! And since you may be out this way one day it would be easy to scoop it.

Both farmers have a fleet of red tractors!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:08 pm

Mike
:lol: :lol: I guess you could say the parts are on a slow boat from China
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:25 pm

George Willer wrote:Allen,

1. Hammer (sometimes BFH}
2. ruler
3. more precise measuring devices
4. lathe
5. Proper wrenches
6. smoke wrench

I would have to add a mill and a good drillpress to Geoges list, with the drill press ahead of the mill. A mill is great for tricky holes and making custom tools and fancy fabrication, and the drill press can be used for just about anything from drilling, tapping, honeing, sanding etc....

Back when i was starting out in industrial maintenance(not too long ago, i am a pup), the guy who was my mentor told me you only needed 3 tools on your cart and anything else was just showing off, A 12" cresent wrench, a 32oz ball peen, and a 18" flathead screw driver. The big screwdriver could be used to pry or chisle stuff, and the end could be grinded to fit a variety of screws, or you could just line the slot up with the screw and apply the hammer for a press fit.

Now that i am in a higher-tech factory, and have alot more resources, i have a stocked and very moble toolboxt...but you sure can do alot with those 3 simple tools, but precision machinery doesn't care much for a BFH, but i still have one just in case.

Russell "Hammer mechanic at large"

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Mill

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:02 pm

Yep, I'll be adding a mill shortly :) I used to do some machining with GE, but not without some help, so now I get to learn it all on my own :D There are tremendous sites on the web for these little lathes !!!

Fortunately or unfortunately, the U.S. economy is driven by labor costs, and we all expect a great standard of living, which drives up costs, and our products become more expensive. :) We could be nationalist and protect our economy with tariffs, but that would make us globally non-competitive!

So, we outsource to people who are still willing to be paid pennies a day - but we can't hold it against them, their expectations of what they should be rewarded for their time and expertise are in line with what ours were only a few tens of years ago!

And in turn, their own expectations are growing and they will price themselves out of their attractive pricing, and then it will move once again, probably to Russia.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

cheap

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:10 pm

It wasn't all cheap labor that forced many companies out of business or to outsource. Our very own EPA shut down many of the small foundaries which in turn caused most of the manufacturers of machine tools to either close or rely on off shore castings.

RudyO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RudyO » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:44 pm

I'll agree that having a lathe is a handy thing! About a year and a half ago, I ran into a deal on a Cincinnati Hydrashift (15 x 30, 5hp) and a 9x42 vertical mill (2hp) plus all the tooling, quick change tool post, chucks, collets, etc for the lathe for a mere $1000. A lot of money but for what I got I can't complain. Now that I've got it, I often ask myself "What did I do before I had these!!??". I am VERY thankful for the equipment and skill to use it.

As for outsourcing, insourcing, etc., my philosophy is that those companies that constantly work to find better ways to do the things they do everyday will survive. Those that don't, won't. This includes people on ALL levels of the company. Greedy Exec's will run a company into the ground fast but so will a greedy workforce. Just my $0.02 :wink:

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Well said

Postby allenlook » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:38 am

Of to HF today to try to convince them to sell me their mini mill for the same price as Cummins has it online. :)

Well said RudyO, well said.

I've worked in India for many years, and their burgeoning middle class is already pricing itself out of global competitiveness - they naturally want better appliances, better homes, and better (or their first) cars. Their incomes are increasing at 7.5% ahead of inflation, the highest in the world, so companies are already looking to China and next they will look to Russia for affordable labor.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Mill

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:40 pm

Talked HF into selling me their Mini-Mill (a Sieg X2-based mill) for $399.99, which is what Cummins Tool had the same mill for (just the labels are different.)

You can generally walk into HF and get them to match prices, this time it saved me $70, which was enough to order up some drill rod, end mills, center drills, layout dye, etc. etc. from Enco and eBay.

Still waiting for the lathe to arrive :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”