This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Power Angle Plow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cityofc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06067

Hydraulic Power Angle Plow

Postby cityofc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Has anyone seen the pictures for the hydraulic power angle setup for the front plow blade on a Cub? I knew that Ted Nestell had accomplished this setup a while back. I did a search and found the link in this forum, but it seems the pictures of the setup have disappeared. Did anyone save these pictures or does someone know where I can find them? Thanks.
Brian

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:29 pm

Don't know what happened to Ted's pictures but here are a couple from billyandmillie

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:42 pm

I got Ted's :!: Image Well, I thought I had a few, but I guess not, I will post the other one If I can find it...

Johnny[/img]

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:45 pm

got it, it was in my pm's :lol:

Johnny

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Hydraulics

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:34 pm

This is my first foray into hydraulics, I am learning that I need to get pressure to a "spool valve" and that I need a "2-way" ram...?

I have been searching eBay for the required parts,... I think I should wait until I know a little more about this "stuff". I guess from the pictures shown that I don't need the hydraulic bypass block, but I must need some kind of control (spool) valve and the ram and long hydraulic hoses (and a little more hydraulic fluid.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:05 am

Hi Allen. You will need a bypass block, too. The old flow of fluid on the original touch control is pressure from the pump, through the small steel tube, into the side of the touch control unit, then used for operating the internal cylinder or just dumped back into the internal resevoir tank, and returned back through the larger steel tube into the pump. I'll remember something else as soon as I hit the submit button :) .

The new flow will be-----Pressure out of the pump through the small line, back to the new bypass block, diverted out and back to your new control valve(then used to operate your new power angle cylinder or whatever), back out of the new control valve and then into the new bypass block which then allows fluid to re-enter into the side of the touch control unit to work the t/c, then the fluid works the internal t/c cylinder(if you use it), into the resevoir and back out to the large steel return line and back to the pump.

Make sure you use a quality control valve because anytime you use your t/c for anything, all the pressure needed to activate the internal t/c cylinder is felt by the new bypass block, new lines to and from the new control valve, and back to the bypass block. This is where the word "Power beyond" is used for the control valve when ordering. What could happen with a regular cheap valve would be----if you put alot of pressure from the t/c unit lifting something( for instance), you could blow apart the "out" side of the control valve because it was only designed for returning fluid with no pressure. Usually a power beyond valve is beefed up in this area.

Another thing to be cautious about is----DO NOT START the tractor until everything is hooked up. The hydraulic fluid must be able to make it's complete round trip, from the pump, out through all the components, and back to the pump. If you DEAD END the fluid and start the tractor, you'll probably break something major.

Hope this isn't too confusing, Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:16 am

Not too shure of this but don't you need a "oppen center" control valve where the fluid flows through it until you pull the lever or are they all like that:?:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:28 am

Cowboy asks
Not too shure of this but don't you need a "oppen center" control valve where the fluid flows through it until you pull the lever or are they all like that:?:

Yes, you do need an open center valve with power beyond capablities, and NO-- they are not all that way. :?

Here are a couple pics of the angling cylinder, and it's mounts that I have been working on. Don't have all the hose connections complete yet. The link will show other pertinent photos.
http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.php?album=129
The cylinder is a 1 1/2" bore with 1" ram, and an 8" stroke (Ebay items). -----CAUTION--- for anyone attempting to do an install is to make sure you have tire steering clearance with all parts when blade is angled either direction, blade up or down, and front axle up/down rotation to either extreme.

Last edited by Dan Robertson on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

cityofc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06067

Good information so far

Postby cityofc » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info so far everyone. I noticed as well, since I have a 1955 Cub with the bottom run exhaust, that I will have to adjust the exhaust pipe to compensate for the bypass block and hydraulic lines. Not sure how I am going to do this, I would assume most use a pipe bender machine? Anyways, feel free to keep the pictures coming, the more the better. Thanks again. :)

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:44 pm

You can click the link ---- http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9012&highlight= ------ and read the various posts included for ways to modify the low slung exhaust pipe for clearance at the hyd. bypass block. It's not as hard as it may look if you have a fair size, well anchored vise to work with.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:

I try to keep mine to a minimum

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:47 pm

I'll just get on & off the tractor to get my exercise :) :) . It keeps my blood flowing :lol:
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Thx

Postby allenlook » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks for the reply(ies)!

To answer the bypass-block clearance question, there is a bracket that comes with the IH-1000 loader that extends the muffler an extra few inches away from the body of the tractor. TM carries new copies of them, and I bought one along with my hydraulic bypass block. They are just a piece of stamped steel, so they're cheap.

I have the bypass block, but from jostev's picture above, I assumed I would not need it because it just looks like he has an elbow sticking right out of the manifold.

I found a cylinder and some kind of control block on eBay for a Wheel Horse, would they work for me? Sorry to be asking stupid questions - I read the hydraulics basics articles on ATIS, but they don't get into open center and all that stuff... I don't know if that is a 2-way ram, or what the travel is, but I'm considering putting it closer to the center of my blade, so I don't think I need a huge amount of travel...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:01 pm

I used a cylinder with 8" of travel. Ted

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:06 pm

Rudi, I am making a "presentation" that you wanted me to right now :wink:

Allen, it looks like there IS a bypass block, but they are using a different hole for some reason :?: I'm not sure as they are not my pics...

Johnny

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi Allen. In jostev's pic, you can't see the bypass block because Ted has everything painted up and blended in with red paint. If you look real close, you can see another hose and fitting (directly behind the one with the elbow) that goes into the bottom of the bypass block.
I'd stay away from that set-up on ebay for the wheelhorse. They don't show the important side of the control valve, and by the one way cylinder shown, the valve probably is a float down setup. You would only be able to lift something and the weight of the object lifted would collapse the cylinder for downward travel, like a mowing deck or plow. That wouldn't work for a power angle. Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Return to “Farmall Cub”